Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

diesel vs. gas

blackfarms1

Hey all, if you had two tractors, one with a 23 hp kohler gas and the other with a 16.5 hp kubota diesel and you had to part with one of them which would it be and why. They are absolutely the same in every other area except the engines. Thanks in advance. Sean

Having several of both, my decision would come easy. Keep the diesels! They run extremely cheap, provide much torque for the horse power, and they sound good. That said they can be more of a challenge to start when the weather is cold. I'm now in the process of converting a Bolens GT2000 from a 20hp. Kohler to 16hp. water cooled diesel. I like diesels,dOd Chris

quote:
Originally posted by Ronald Hribar
Can not resist, You are comparing motors and toilets
:D:O:D Keep the diesel, can the "can"......

I have been with the Diesel engine industry all of my working life and still for the little bit I buy in gasoline each year, cannot justify the over cost, even tho they are fuel thrifty. And if you have some major fuel problems,i.e. injection pump, injectors, you can toss the savings right out the window. My 2 cents. Now on larger farm and construction machinery, there is a payback fuel usage over gasoline usage.

Thanks for the replies guys. My yard is about 4 acres and needs mowed every 4 days in peak season. I also do a little commercial work when the opportunity presents itself. I have used 3 mowers in the five years I have lived here. A 7016, a Sunstar, and a yazoo zero turn. Of the three the 7016 was buy far away the best. Just put in gas and go. The Sunstar had the 20 hp kohler command, the yazoo a 23 hp command. The sunstar was hard to keep cool and the yazoo used oil and scalped badly. I recently acquired a Steiner 420 and a 420d w/ stump grinder,2"60"decks,slip scoop,and "48" front hyd blade. These tractors seem well thought out and look to be easy to buy parts for and work on. Of course all of our farm tractors were diesels but never had one in a compact tractor. I was leaning toward more hp but the kohler scares me. Thanks, Sean.

I would keep them both. The 7016 is paid for (I assume) and is useful for a lot of things. The Steiner is an interesting tractor. I assume it has a front deck mower and should be easier and faster to mow with. I've got 3 garden tractors at home, plus the Scag for mowing the lawn. I keep a rotor tiller on the 917 and use the B10 to pull a trailer or other things. I'll put the tiller on the 7790 when it's fixed and switch the blade that's on it over to the 917. It's nice not to have to wrestle with changing implements. I gave my son the Simplicity 17-GTHL and got the B10 back as he needed a bigger tractor for a newer home that has a long driveway to clear in the winter and 2 acres to mow in the summer

I will definitely keep all of the simplicity's even if I just use them to sit on or restore. Just thought of using one of the steiners for a worker. Sean