Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
SethL007

Big Ten Lift?

SethL007
Hey guys i recently picked up a Big Ten with the factory square tank hyd. lift. I was thinking of putting it on my B-12, my question is would the square tank be an original on the B-12 or did they come with the round tank?

JimDk
Many of the lift units were installed by the dealers. The dealer would have installed a square tank if that is what they had in inventory. My guess is that the round tank came out about 1966 or 1967, so both could be correct for that era.

UCD
The round tank replaced the square tank because of sealing problems. According my books The first hydraulic lift came out on the B-10 in 1963 The first Simplicity to get hydraulic lift was the 101 in 1965. I believe with the round tank also on it's counter part the Big-10

JimDk
My LL 101 has a square tank, and by all appearances is a factory install. Tha factory jobs used a shorter rocker shaft eliminating the stub end where the lift handle normally fits.

UCD
For what its worth I did some more digging. The install manual for the square tank MFG# 990339 shows a round hood tractor. The install manual for the round tank MFG# 990468 shows a square hood tractor. This puts the change over late 1965 with the model change over and some of the round hood tractors could have the round tank and some of the square hood could have square tank. Hard to tell with the way Simplicity did things.

MPH
My '64 LL came with a round tank, now I ain't saying it left the factor that way, though with the rot of the hoses when I got it been on there a long while