Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

KT17 PTO Shaft Seal...gone!

Gary

I was blowing some light snow with the 917H, this morning. Everything seemed to be working fine.:) I raised the blower and started backing up, only to see a river of oil on the driveway, and the PTO seal rolling around.:( I got it shut down before all of the oil ran out. It's now sitting in the garage, awaiting disposition. This is a newer Allis 917H, around 1984. I bought it used a couple of years ago, and have no idea how many hours are on the engine. I was planning on rebuilding this tractor this Spring. I have a 7116H, at my mom's. It needs the BGB replaced (I have one here). It is already partially disassembled. I may go ahead and finish this one, so I still have a tractor for winter. I'm not a big fan of the single cylinder engines, but something is better than nothing! And, it too has the hydraulic lift. Has anyone had a KT17, rebuilt recently? About how much is it going to cost? There is a company from Minerva, OH, that has an Ebay store called "KUSTOM LAWN AND GARDEN/CLARK RACING". They advertise a KT17 based on a Magnum block (oil filter). It's not a complete engine, it is remanufactured, and it accepts points. The price is about $1200.00. S.E.W., advertises a complete KT17, for about $1900.00. Any thoughts on the matter?

I would try putting new seal in. And find out why old seal came out. Plugged breather ? There is a good chance motor is still workable. As for the 7116, it will do everything and a little more than the twin. The only downside is a noisier motor.And I hope they don't have tyhe same parents.

I've had seals blow before do to a plugged breather and if that's all that's wrong with the engine you're only looking at a 10 dollar part that's not very hard to replace which should get you through the winter. My choice would be to rebuild the KT17 rather than buy a new one or a replacement engine.

I have rebuilt the KT17's a few times. When I rebuild them, it will cost me between $400 to $600. That depends the condition the motor is in. From what I am thinking the your KT17 is still useable, it just blew one of the two seals. Here is the part numbers on the seals: PTO end: X-583-5-S(front of tractor)its around $8.00, Front seal: 52 032 10-S(Behind flywheel)its around $9.00. Between my brother and I we use these engines in all of the 900 series we got. I have them in my Allis 916H, and Allis 917H. My brother has them in his Allis 912H and Allis 917H. They are one darn good engine, but thats my opinion. Ryan-WI Allis Chalmers 916H Allis Chalmers 917H Deutz Allis 1920H Simplicity 7114S

Thanks for the input^ I'd like to keep the tractor as original as possible, but, will opt for improvement in reliability, over originality. All of your input and thoughts will be greatly appreciated. I've even considered implanting a twin engine in the 7116H, and letting go of a good running 16hp Briggs. Any of you die hard single cylinder Briggs fans listening??

I've thought about going the Magnum, route. I see that you are in South Dakota. I'm in Ohio. How many hours are on the Magnum 20, and how much do you want for it?

Gary, do you think you hurt the engine? For the cost of an $8 seal, install a new seal (very easy on the PTO shaft) and run it. The boxer twins had problems with PTO seals working out including the Magnums. I have replaced 2 seals, just don't push it in too deep so it is riding against the bearing.

No, I don't think any damage has been done to the engine. It blew the seal (I watched it roll across the driveway), and about 1/2 of the oil came out before I could shut it down. It was probably less than 10 seconds, elapsed time. If I had a part number for the seal, I could get one and try it. Any thought on what and where to look for crankcase ventilation problems? Also, does anyone have a PDF on the KT engine service/rebuild instructions? Thanks again!

Gary - This link should take you to a pdf of the service manual - [url]http://www.kohlerengines.com/onlinecatalog/pdf/tp_2043_a.pdf[/url]

Gary, here are the part numbers for the seals. I sent them in a earlier message. If you saw the seal go across the driveway, you will need the PTO end seal. PTO end: X-583-5-S(front of tractor)its around $8.00, Front seal: 52 032 10-S(Behind flywheel)its around $9.00. Ryan-WI Allis Chalmers 916H Allis Chalmers 917H Deutz Allis 1920H Simplicity 7114S

Did Kohler or anyone else ever devise a "seal retainer"? Honda had some Accord cam seal problems so they installed a seal retainer to prevent seal blowout. Just curious.

Roy if I may ask, How does a seal retainer work. I have yet to run across one of these. I'm not able to picture in my mind what this might be. Thanks for yur help. Chris

Chris, Not sure but think the Honda seal retainer is just a small tab protruding out over the seal OD that is secured with one screw/bolt into the casting around the seal. Hope this makes sense to you.

Yes it does. I can visualize exactly what your talking about. Thanks for the reply. I was way off. I was thinking of one way tabs around the outer face of the seal that grip the seal bore. I just couldn't see how a person would replace it if that was the case. Thanks again, Chris

Tell you the truth, I have never had this happen to at all.(knock on wood) Between my brother and I we have four of the Kohler KT17's, and they have been great to us. Ryan-WI Allis Chalmers 916H Allis Chalmers 917H Deutz Allis 1920H Simplicity 7114S

Well, I can't lay my hands on a new seal today, and we just had 12 inches of snow, and we are getting 6 - 8 inches more today. Sooooooo, I put the old seal back in. It wasn't damaged when it came out. I cleaned it up and reinstalled it. Just got done blowing off my driveway (1/2 hour), and all is well. I just don't trust it like this. The old seal went in way to easy. Can't wait to get a new one installed. Trying to watch under the tractor and blow snow at the same time is not much fun. Thanks for all of your help, and the Kohler Twin Service manual. I'm keeping my eyes open and my fingers crossed!!