Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

51R battery

johnmonkey

Hello all, I was at an auto parts store yesterday and they had a 51R battery, however, it did not have the "rib" on the ends for the battery holders. The battery only had smooth ends. What is the deal?I have an older 51R and it has the "rib". jh

My first guess would be a cost savings, because less resin is used in the manufacture of the plastic case. If they were smart they would have done some type of market study to determine that most people did not use them to hold the battery in place. Last couple of 22nf's I bought at the battery wholesale warehouse had the hold down ledge still.

I just bought an Exide 51R today. It does not have the rib on the end. I was going to get a 22NF but TSC was out of them, Walmart does not carry them, and Walmart was out of the 51R. I had to get a battery in my 716H, since they are predicting 2-6 inches of snow tonight and another larger storm on Friday. Got the 48 inch trip blade mounted yesterday and moved some of the piles from the snow last Saturday to make room for more.

I've been buying 51R's for probably 5 years or more now. None of them had the hold down cleat on the end. As other's have said, the 22NF's have the hold down cleat.

You might want to check the height of that battery compared to others. I've bought those with a snapped on 1" or so bottom "tray" that it sits on that has those ribs on it. They are very easy to remove to make it fit more closely to a given situation.

John, 22NF is slightly taller than a 51R with a slightly smaller footprint. Link below gives battery sizes. "http://www.gglotus.org/ggtech/battery-bci/battery-bci-size.htm" Hope this helps.

A 22NF is the battery that came in the RBTs. It fits the case and fastens down with the factory bracket. 51R is a replacement that fits in the space provided and has about the same CCA. A 51R does not fasten down with the factory hardware.

Rod, I am located here in upstate New York and my son is 20 miles north of you in Stafford Va. I just spoke to him and said you are expecting 1 to 2 feet of snow.I thought you might want to run on up there with your tractor,plow and new battery and help out with his driveway. His teenage son is getting tired of shoveling snow!! Vinnie

Rod, Is this a new service Simple Tractors is offering? Members digging other members out. So when can I expect you to clear my driveway after the next storm? I am only a "few" miles (and a "few" hours) north (Maine) of you. Rick........