Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
thatlevi

tranny probelm

thatlevi
So my tranny on my tractor keeps grinding the gears when I shift how do I stop this I've done all of what I think is obvious like adjust drive belt changed and filled gear oil. Thanks in advance

steve-wis
Travis, I have had the same problem on tractors that I have bought. Get the parts book and make sure all of the belt stops are on it. Often people lose them or remove them not knowing what they are for. If you are missing any, they can be made from 3/16 or 1/4 inch diameter rod. Adjust them like the book says and you will be amazed how well it works. You can download a book from this site for your tractor, you just need the mfg. number, but you might need to be a member to do that. You should join, it is the best $10 you will spend, believe me! Good luck! Steve

DaleC
I have found that it is important to have the clutch belt adjusted correctly and not be to quick to shift the gear. Make sure that the tractor is stopped before kicking out of gear and shifting to the next. I replaced the nylon strip bearing and made a tremendous difference in the smoothness of the clutch and shifting. I have a Big ten and a B 12.