Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Trans Fluid Allis 917H

kenmill1958

I have heard different types fluid bieng used in the hydros in these tractors. From OEM to Dexron and hydro fluid at tractor supply. I do not mind using after market types as long as it doesn,t cause problems. Any help appreciated. Thanks Ken

It has the regular hydro fluid in it now. I guess I could drain it change the filter and ad the ATF instead. How did you know to use the ATF fluid??

Maynard, I'm a bit confused. Isn't a 7790 tractor a "7100" series with a Sundstrand hydro? The chart you referenced calls for "Simplicity Multi-Purpose Hyd Oil". I thought only the older Vickers hydros specified Dextron Automatic Transmission Fluid (the red stuff).

The operator manuals state more varity that can be used than the chart does. This is a operators manual from a 7100 series. States the type of oil that can be used.
[img]/club2/attach/RayS/Untitled.jpg[/img]
The Allis operator manuals do state that you can use dexron though. This from a Allis 700 series operator manual. It states you can use Dexron in the sundstrand. I use Dexron in my now because both my vehicles call for it as well. Since the Sudstrand use the same replacement part numbers and the Simplicity and Allis operator manuals state you can use it. I feel that it is safe to use the dexron.

Thanks Ray sounds logical to me. I was hoping I could use Dexron also. I have at least 5 gal. Some of my other vehicles use it as well. Easier to stock one fluid also. Thanks Again.

I suppose that I should have stated it is the Allis operators manuals that states you can use the Dexron oil. The Sundstrand is the same in the Simplicity and Allis tractors so I don`t see the big deal. Probably more like a manufacture recomendation or brand loyalty type of thing.

I can tell you I switched out to hydrotrans simplicity stuff and it works well. My problem is that I did not run it to mix in the water and in extreme cold it is sluggish cause of water in it. I am changing it out this spring with mercron 4 or 5. Make sure you run it good and hot before you dump it. The simplicity stuff is also wayyyyy overpriced...

Yes the 7790 is a 7100 series tractor and it has a Sundstrand 15 series hydrostatic in it. The chart showes dexron for the sunstrand 15 series in the Sunstar and Power max series and it states dextron. The SundStrand 15 series manual. Dexron meets these specs. Fluids Ratings and data for Sauer-Sundstrand products are based on operating with premium hydraulic fluids containing oxidation, rust, and foam inhibitors. These premium fluids include API CD engine oils per SAE J183, Type F automatic transmission fluids, power shift transmission fluids meeting Allison C-3 or Caterpillar TO-2 requirements and certain specialty agriculture tractor fluids. For further information, consult Sauer-Sundstrand. At continuous operating conditions, fluid viscosity should be above 55 SUS (9 mm2/sec). Minimum fluid viscosity should be above 45 SUS (6.4 mm2/sec) at intermittent operating conditions. Filtration A 20 micron (nominal rating) filter should be placed in the inlet line to the charge pump. The maximum continuous inlet vacuum should not exceed 10 in. Hg (0.7 bar abs.); the filter should be replaced when the inlet vacuum exceeds 10 in. Hg (0.7 bar abs.). During cold starts, the inlet vacuum may exceed this level. Inlet vacuum at normal operating conditions should not exceed 5 in. Hg (0.8 bar abs.).