Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

bolt patterns - kt-17, briggs 16hp

mike_sdak

I still have the KT-17 in my 917H. I have a briggs 326400 series 16Hp, which I mentioned in the earlier thread about engine swaps. At this point, I am doing a little planning to minimize the problems when I do the engine swap. I measured the engine mount bolts on the Kt-17, across the frame. It looks like they are about 7.5" center to center. The bolts on the briggs oil pan are about 10.5" center to center. Does one just drill new 3/8 or 1/2" holes in the frame to mount the briggs? Or would some sort of adapter plate be in order? Or, is it possible to swap an oil pan (assuming I could find the part). The other thing is crankshaft height - I would imagine the two engines would be different on this point, too. Anyone have experience with this? And one final item - the oil fill cap. There is no dipstick on this unit. Does that fit, or will the frame need cutting? Thanks in advance,

The 917 tractor frames already have the bolt patterns for Briggs single and Kohler singles pre drilled into them in addition to the KT mounting holes. At least all of them I have ever had did. Crankshaft height is not an issue. All three engines , KT and magnum twins, Briggs Cast iron singles, and Kohler K series and magnum series single engines all just bolt in without any need for height adjustments. No dipstick may be an issue. The one thing that will help is that the 917 series frames are already notched on the sides for clearing the jugs on the KT's. I dont know as if I ever put one of those Briggs block with the oil fill/check in the pan into a 917 frame. Modifacations mayneed to be made, you will just have to set it in and see what it looks like unless someone else who has done this chimes in here.

I'm in the process of putting a Briggs 16 in a 7018. Except for the wiring changes it is a straight drop in installation. Oil drain plug hole in frame fits the Briggs, the oil fill pipe clears the frame, and engine mounting holes are the same as is the drive shaft length.

I agree with Sam's post. As to the oil fill/drain issue, it will fit OK. See this post for some pics I posted of the Briggs oil fill/drain fit into a 17GTH-L frame: http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=108074 You'll need a different driveshaft (or spacers) because the KT-17 driveshaft is shorter than the one for the Briggs.

quote:
Originally posted by Roy
I'm in the process of putting a Briggs 16 in a 7018. Except for the wiring changes it is a straight drop in installation. Oil drain plug hole in frame fits the Briggs, the oil fill pipe clears the frame, and engine mounting holes are the same as is the drive shaft length.
Roy, is your fill neck screwed into the block above the pan or into the pan itself? I ask because the last time I put a "in the pan" neck engine into a 7000 series frame I had to notch the frame for the neck to clear.

Sam, Oil fill pipe screws into the block just above the oil pan as shown in the link below by RayS.
[img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/attach/RayS/dd.jpg[/img]

Thanks for the replies. I cleaned off some dirt and oil, and yes, there are more holes in the frame. I haven't measured them yet, but they do seem about right. Also, I noticed the round cut-out in the side of the frame, which is presumably for the oil drain on a briggs (the kt-17 drains out the front, under the front PTO). I blew some snow with the 917 (and the KT-17) today. First time I have ever successfully used the blower - it really does throw snow well. I did use a bunch of oil, though.