Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
jjouelle

Driveshaft Coupling Blown Apart

jjouelle
I was having a great time with all this snow (2ft+) with my 64 LL...till I went to put it back in gear and heard a POP. I knew that couldn't be a good thing. when I looked, I found the coupling between the engine and the driveshaft was GONE :( So, since I still need to rebuild my bgb on the 3112, that leaves me with a shovel 8C I know this isn't the place for it, but does anyone have the parts I need? I have a feeling the bolts might have sheared off in the engine. I still need to take a closer look.

Burntime
Ouch! Check Ebay, I have a few bgb but they are for the larger tractors... Its really not all that bad to split the tractor... Just hit it with some penetrating oil now to give it a head start... Good luck. Also, disconect the drive belt so you are sure your problem is the bgb and not the rear end...

SmilinSam
quote:
Originally posted by Ronald Hribar
It is a lot worse when the rear coupling blows I spent time and money to repair damaged linkage and hydrulic lines
Yep Ron, makes a lot of racket and wakes ya up in a hurryOO Nothing like a piece of iron whizzing and banging around between your legs at 3600 rpm to get your attention:D

MPH
Did your LL still have the rubber couplings in the drive shaft? Sandy Lake had the newer fiber disc kits last time I needed one. It may have just been the disc gave way and no sheared bolts.

perry
quote:
Originally posted by jjouelle
Using the shovel is NOT a whole lot of fun. Ebay had nothing for what I needed. Now we're getting another 5-10" tomorrow!
sounds like you nee another tractor or 2 :D, and its allways good to have a parts tractor sitting behind the shed ;). i try and have my shelfs stocked with the key failer parts so i can do a quick fix when needed.

jjouelle
Thanks for all your thoughts and suggestions. I should be able to get it in the garage for a closer look this weekend. It started snowing again a couple minutes ago...calling for another 12-15 inches.

jjouelle
We're back in business :D After pulling the engine, I found that one of the bolts from the driveshaft into the engine backed out which left the other bolt and that one sheared off at the engine. I was able to get the bolt out, get the missing spacers and bolts, and get it all back together before the next snowfall. Runs perfect again! ^ Thanks for the help!!