Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

What kind of mower is this...anyone?

AC_B-1Novice

I found this for sale but know nothing about it. Does anyone know what it is or what it is worth if it runs? It runs but won't pickup any speed.

For 50 bucks I would have had to taken it home right off the bat. Now you mow a couple greens into your lawn. Of course, if you CUT your lawn with it a few times you may never go back to swinging a piece of sometimes sharp steel at it.

I think your right about it being a Jacobsen engine. I have one laying out in the iron pile. That too came off of a reel mower many years ago. They were designed to run with something like a 25 to 1 gas to oil ratio. If the rings are stuck or worn it will not pick up rpm's. Two much blow by to run efficiently.If you need parts let me know and I can send you the engine for the price of shipping. Chris

Thanks Chris...I didn't get to get the mower today as it was very bad weather so he is going to call me when I can go to pick it up. I will keep the engine offer in mind as I don't know what this one is like until I get it. I can evaluate it and decide then what to do. I guess I can't lose too much. larry

Your sure welcome. I don't think I can find it out there with all this snow anyway. It will probably be something simple and you will be fine. Let me know if he need arises. Good luck, Chris

It is a National. If you go to Yahoo Groups, there is a National Mower Group there. I belong. I owned a National belly reel rider a year or so ago. Although cool, they're pretty dangerous and suprisingly don't fetch too much money. They were designed and used on golf courses and in fact, National is still in business. Almost all modern golf course mowers are still Nationals. Neat machine.