Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Any suggestions for cab lights?

Burntime

I am looking for a pair of lights to mount to my cab. I had a single light that worked well but have since done a windshield and the wiper is now in the hole. Any lights that run on 12 volt, mabe leds that actually put out some light? I already have the factory headlights, a rear worklight, and an electric spout rotator so I want to conserve some juice:D Let me know if you have some you are happy with and can make any recomendations...Thanks!

NAPA has 12 volt sealed beams in a rubber housing with mounting hardware that are great lights. I have 2 on my Kubota and purchased 3 more for the 3414 when the others give out. Plenty of light for our use. Sorry I don't have the number. I'll go to their site and see if I can find them. OK this looks like the light that I purchased. # GRO 64931 Chris

That's the beauty of these lights. They draw very little power. I have a set of LED driving lights on the back of the same tractor and they are a joke. Really. My little Kubota only has a 7 or 9 amp charging system and it keeps up easily. I would rate them a best buy for the money. Chris

Hve not taken a reading. 55 watt rear light and the factory lights are 35 watt if I remember right... That should be 10.42 amps alone, not counting the spike of the spout rotator...sm00

After running the glow plugs several times and the starter several times I'm down around 11 to 11.5 volts. After it starts and runs for a couple of minutes with the lights on I'm back up to 14.5 volts. Normaly sets at 12 to 12.5 before starting. I think these lights only have an 18ga pig tail. I'm not trying to push you into something you might regret. I'm happy with them is all. Chris

quote:
Originally posted by Cvans
I guess I didn't realize that you were already putting out that much light. Careful, your going to start melting the snow :D Chris
Thats what I am afraid of! I had another 55 watt light last winter and it did fine. I just shut it all off except for the tractor headlights on the way to the back garage. Idle it down for a minute and never had a problem. Now I am looking for 2 lights so 55-60 watts max between the two...

quote:
Originally posted by Homesteader
HID lights are the best thing, they use them on Case IH combines now. They are really bright... But... SUPER EXPENSIVE!!
X2... HID's are the best, but pricey. You can often find these on sale at Checker/O'Reillys for under $100 each... http://www.rdmoffroad.com/hidx---hid-offroad-light.aspx

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200390435_200390435 4 watts, 6" x 3", 1440 lumens.... ONLY $330 !!! get 2 now!!! holy moly!! saw this on the other end of the spectrum... http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=95799 12V, magnetic base $6

Wow! I guess I want my cake and eat it too! I would settle for a pair of say 30 watt halogen being I had a single 55 watt on it... I ran the blower this morning and I really missed the extra light. Plus it helps people see me when I turn around on the road...

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=93904 These dont look to bad either I run a pair of 55watt halogens on my old broadmoor and have plenty of light

I bought that exact light at HF... I havent put it in yet or Id tell you how well (or not) it works... the price a month or so ago was $6... now, was it 50% off when I bought it or did the price go up 100%... ?

hmmm, yeah, I guess you have some issue here... am I doing this right...? 55W bulb @ 12V draws ~ 4.6A BUT the voltage on the system while running with the 15A alternator is maybe 14.4 so: 55W bulb @ 14.4V draws ~ 3.8A im not sure what your headlights draw... 35W ea? 70W @ 14.4V ~ = 4.9 A rear work light 1 @ 55W ~3.8 so your current lights should draw 8.7A if front and back lights are on... this leaves 6.3A for spout and new lights.. what does your spout draw? (and thats momentary) anything above 15 should be supplied by your battery...right... yeah, Id say you are close but you might be OK... turn off the lights when you use the spoutsm00... maybe use a single pole double throw switch so either your headlights are on OR your cab lights...

I had one additional 55 watt light on the cab but replaced it with a wiper in the same hole. I think your math is right but I always thought you used 12volts as that is the voltage when there is a draw? I may just get 3 lights and change out my rear work light with a lower draw light as well. OR...is there a low draw/high output headlight replacement? Maybe that is the way to go...then I have the pricey lights on the tractor all the time? Are the headlights 4411 sealed beam?

Found these... http://www.prweb.com/releases/2009/12/prweb3332484.htm But it is only 900 lumens. Regular par36 bulbs are 35 watts and 2500 lumens or you can get 55watt as well. I may just switch them out to 2 55 watt and scrap the cab light idea... But I do like the lights mounted high!

I take it back...look at the links in the middle of the page for the before and after...wow! Here is another link with the pics in it...http://grote.com/prodcat/attachments/Trilliant36InfoSheet.pdf The 2500 is candlepower, the led is lumens...big difference... I have a local company checking for me on price on both the led and hid...hid is a little older technology and may be cheaper. I have seen similiar topics come up before so I may have an answer...it may not be feasible, but will have an answer.

I was trying to get fancy to save you some extra room... but I would say the 14V calculation is probably more accurate in the actual application but not necessarily in the err on the margin of safety world.... as if there were a negative draw on the battery the regulator would be full on... maybe you would want to go with a deep cycle battery, then you could light up the neighborhood without worry of damage to the battery Id say go for it... try it out... you can modify wiring to work out the bugs (like wire the cab lights directly to the battery with their own switch) or just make sure you turn some of the lights off and run the tractor for a while before you put it away... LED's are the way to go for low draw but at the prices they get for high intensity necessary for this type of application I think you can find a better way using old technology

those conversion bulbs look interesting... 4.3" diameter... anyone know off hand what the 4411 bulbs diameter is? (yes, I could go measure) interested to hear what you learn

Sammie, they are a par36, they are drop ins. I also found that you can buy 4411s in different wattage... 50w 60w 65w 80w etc... I know I ran the other 55watt bulb no problem. I may just change out the headlights to two 50 or 60watt bulbs. They are a diffent number but can get 2 60s for 20 bucks plus shipping. Not what I want but may be a cheap fix until the prices come down.