Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Anyone use chains on the front tires?

RBE17

I use a 4040 w/ 60" blade to clear snow. The rear has high flotation tires, wheel weights and chains. The front has turf tires. We had a 10" of snow I cleared on Saturday. This is the most I've ever cleared w/ this rig as I just started using it this year. Numerous times when I was trying to turn (w/ the blade up) the tractor just kept going straight. It's not ultra frustrating as I just adapted my technique to not having to make sharp turns. I was wondering if anyone uses chains on the front tires to help w/ that issue. Being new to tractor time during the winter I didn't know if this was ill advised. As always, any help is appreciated. Thanks, Steve.

I cant speak directly to your question... but... there was a thread a while back that discussed this issue on the B-series... It seems that people do indeed use front chains to help out here... Perry posted a pic of his pair.... the pic is also on this more recent thread. http://simpletractors.com/Club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=109771 scroll down to the pair of tractors with cabs... the yellow one on the left has "straps"on the front tires that help him steer... Im sure he can chime in... I found it interesting as I had never seen anything like it but it looks like a smoother ride... Also, a thought, doesnt your rig have independent rear brakes to help steer in this type of low traction situation?

On my Cub I have been using Carlisle X-Tracs. Work great in snow . No steering issues. My 917 has turfs which has the same steering issues as you do. I am going to install the X-Tracs on it also. Technicaly they are snowblower tires. They are the same size and carry the same weight load.Hope this helps. Ken

Gentlemen, Thank you for the information. I'm going to look into a pair of straps or chains for the front tires. Yes, the 4040 does have independent braking in the rear to help w/ steering. Unfortunately, the brakes are less than desirable at the moment. I have the parts to repair them, just not the time. Once they are repaired the combo of the independent braking and the straps / chains will cure this ailment. Thanks, Steve.

Hello Steve. Your 4040 should be equipped with individual rear brakes. There is a pin that slides between the two brake pedals that locks both of them together. If you slide that pin to the left [when sitting on the seat] it will allow the brakes to work independently. this should allow you to steer the tractor when the front wheels are lifted off of the ground. Hpoe this helps!

I don't use chains on the front but have considered it many times. Fellow contributor here (Perry) lets the air out of his front tires and and places a looped length of bicycle chain around the center of the tire and reinflates it. Says it greatly improves steering in Ice and snow. Chris

quote:
Originally posted by sammiefish
bicycle chains.... OH... I didnt know that is what the "strap" was!!
go-cart & bicycle chain is what i have on the Allis. its what i had laying around. i suggest not useing a master link with the clip. i allready lost the bycyle chain due to the master clip poping off. the larger chain i made to fit and smashed the pins over to hold it together. i like the larger go-cart chain better anyway. really improved the steering ^. even with only one chain on it still works great. i can angle the blade and push the snow where i want it.

these fronts are from a walk behind snow blower. definitely worked but a rougher ride.
[img]http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l226/perry71/sim-wood003.jpg[/img]
and these are the sprocket style chains. much smoother ride and handling.
[img]http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l226/perry71/cubcab011.jpg[/img]