Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

4040 Won't Start

RBE17

I went out around 11:00 to clear the 10" of snow I had on the ground. It was still snowing like crazy the entire time. I just about finished up and pulled it back into the barn. W/o thinking I turned it off to put more gas into it. Once gassed up it wouldn't start again. Of course, I forgot about the the very real possibility of moisture in the pto switches. I flipped them while trying to start it and I've got nothing. I do hear the clutch solenoids engaging though, but the motor is not doing anything. I'm hoping that's the problem and they just need to dry out. I want to go out and clear again. If it doesn't start I'm going to try speeding things along w/ a hair dryer. If I can't get it started I guess I'll be clearing w/ the walk behind. I'm glad I listened to my wife and went out earlier. I also realize how useful a cab could be. I hope everyone else is having better luck. Later, Steve.

Originally I had wanted to wait until it was all done. The forecast is not until midnight. Levi, I feel your pain.
quote:
Originally posted by StanD
Just use a jumper from battery pos. to solenoid to get it started & deal with it later. StanD
That's a good idea and wish I had thought of it before spending two hours behind the walk behind. That is rough on a stone driveway. Now it is running way rich, too. Having equipment is great, but when it's not running right, it's rough. Thanks for the suggestions and moral support. Later, Steve.

quote:
Originally posted by SteveP
quote:
Having equipment is great, but when it's not running right
Equipment always run great - until you really need it. sm00
I hear that. My problem is that I have very little time and I rely too heavily on my equipment. I do not take the time to PM the machines like I should. I always feel like I'm on borrowed time when using them. I never had 100% confidence that something isn't going to go wrong when I'm using them.

If you blew the snow an d the intake is still through the hood, it's likely you have the air filter full of fine snow and is now blocking the air flow. Like running with the choke on.

quote:
Originally posted by D-17_Dave
If you blew the snow an d the intake is still through the hood, it's likely you have the air filter full of fine snow and is now blocking the air flow. Like running with the choke on.
Thanks for the heads up Dave. I was plowing, but it was still snowing like crazy. I didn't see any snow in there, but will check it out.