Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
PhanDad

Spark Plug Firing Rate - Life?

PhanDad
As I understand it, an old single cylinder Briggs engine with points fires the spark plug every other revolution (top of the compression stroke) since the points are opened by the camshaft. If the old single cylinder Briggs is converted to electronic ignition (either via an external module, or magnetron) I assume the plug fires every revolution since the plug fires when the electronics sense the flywheel magnet passing the coil. For the Kohler KT engines, I believe the points are opened by the camshaft, but since a "double" coil is used, the plugs fire every revolution. And I'm guessing for the newer Briggs Vanguard and Kohler Command engines with the "ignition modules", they also fire every revolution. Thus the question: Is spark plug life shortened (halved) since the plug fires twice as often using "new" technology?

BLT
Bill, every engine (air cooled) that fires with a flywheel magneto, with points under the magneto, fires every rev and they have been around since the 30's or more. My self I don't think plug life overall has changed that much. Either you have good ones that go forever and then have some that you only get a couple of seasons with. Mt 2 pennies worth.

UCD
In car and pickup engines with distributorless ignition with one coil for two cylinders each coil fires every revolution. The cylinder under compression fires causing ignition the the other cylinder fires in exhaust stroke this is called waste spark.

Burntime
Just imagine, we could solve the worlds energy crisis if we could just harness the power of waste spark:D I suppose, this is one time where the simpliest system is proven... Interesting to learn...

xenon172
This might shed some light from the Tiny-Tach site How many models are there? There are 3 different modes of the original Tiny-Tach™ relating to how the engine cylinder fires: 2C for 1x per revolution (typically for Briggs, Honda and Kohler type engines); 1C for cylinders firing 2x per revolution (2 cylinder personal watercraft such as Seadoos typically fire this way); and 4C for cylinders firing every other revolution (typically K series Kohler engines) The commercial unit, CTT-S, can be programmed for different firing sequences.