Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
bubbennett

3410 landlord 4th gear slipps

bubbennett
First of all I am new to the world of Simplicity tractors. I bought this 3410 about 10 years ago (I think it is around 1972)and have loved it ever since. I have always had trouble with 4th gear in my 3410. When I am mowing up a mild incline it wants to slow to a stop. When I down shift to 3rd it pucks right back up. I noticed when I was plowing snow this morning it would do it in 3rd gear too. It never luggs on the engine I get no belt smoke none of the normal garden tractor symptoms. I have no manuals and don't know where to begin. I am just need to know where to start. Thanks Bub

HubbardRA
It sounds like your belt is slipping. check the arm the idler is mounted on to see if there is another hole for the idler a little farther toward the end. I found that on one of mine and it stopped the slipping.

bubbennett
No such luck. When I put it into 4th and held the wheel the long drive belt that brings power to the trans kept spinning with no slipping but the shorter belt on inboard stopped with no slipping on the pulley. The entire pulley stops (not the smaller idler). Now where?

HubbardRA
The purpose of the small belt is to link the two halves of the split pulley together. If you say the long belt is spinning but the short belt stops. then the front half of the pulley is spinning but the back half isn't. This probably calls for a new short belt and a shuttle lever adjustment.