Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

3415 BevelGear box

grurban

I'm getting crunching from the bevel gearbox. Didn't know it was there until the noise started, so I know it's out of oil and more than likely, one or more of the ball bearings has failed. A few questions. One, where can I get a service manual for the 3415s. I've gotten the user manual but can't find the other. Two, how do you get that darn plug out to fill the oil. Tried everything I could think of so far and nothing seems to work. I'm about to the point of taking off the elbow and then remove the plug. Three, are there any good places to get parts for these old simplicities that don't charge an arm and a leg. I only paid $375 for the tractor, mower, and snow blower and I've gotten 3 season from it. Not bad at all. Really like it and I want to keep it going.

To remove the plug, I use a 12 point metric socket on 6" ext. I'm not sure of the size, but it is in the 12mm to 14mm range. It fits snug on the square of the plug.

Finally got the plug out. Not delighted with the method. Took a crescent and sat it upright on the plug. then screw driver thru the handle. he** on the wrench, but it is out. The oil I was going to put into it will not run at the temperature of the garage, so I've turned the heater on the warm everything up. Couldn't even get the oil to run out of the funnel back into the bottle for several minutes. In case you can't tell, I'm a transplant from South Texas to Wisconsin. Still not use to what cold does to stuff. I've got to get a pipe wrench in there somehow to get the elbow to point straight up. Would hate to wait fo rebuild to get that done.

Hey Gary, your not all that far from me...I am in New Berlin. Happy with the recent snow?:D I can tell you its about an hour and a half job if everything goes well to change it out. In the cold its a real peach to losen stuff up...

The old thing did OK until the crunching started. Heating the garage up to 70 tonight. Will try to get some oil in it in the morning. Then start it again. It took a little but it was like maple syrup going in. Do you know of any tractor bone yards in the area where I might just pick up a working one? Looks like I have to disconnect a bunch of stuff and then split the tractor. Should not be too bad. I have a bunch of jack stands and a good jack. Just cold on that darn floor.

I can check if I have a spare otherwise the classifieds or ebay... Start looking now, my guess is if its making that kind of noise its not long for this world...

Bearings and seals are available for that unit. If the gears are killed I've seen members on here who sell them. Look in the classifieds. I rebuilt my bgb and it works great now. I replaced the input shaft and the bearings and seals. All of the parts were avaialable at Jacks Small Engins online. Most people check the bgb by seeing how much end play is in the cross shaft. It's possible the sound you are hearing is coming from the gears. lastly... check out this link: [url]http://www.simplicitymfg.com/manuals/index.cfm?rd=1[/url]

• 3 weeks later...
Yep, rust and goo! If the weather were nicer it would be a benefit to presure wash it before crawling under. Make sure you wear safteyglasses for sure! Good luck!

If you do find / need a BGB from e-bay or other source, make sure the output shaft is the correct length. I believe they differ based upon trans set up.

The driven shaft (output shaft) is the same for the hydro, shuttle and 6 speed. The driven shaft part number 173966 is superceded to 1685054SM. The 7100 & 900 series part number 1657178 also is superceded to 1685054SM. So the 3400`s to the 900 series use the same BGB. Don`t use one from a B series or Simplicity equivalent large frame. The drive and driven shaft are smaller diameter. 3/4" instead of 7/8" like you have in your tractor.

• 4 months later...
Finally just bought another used 3415S. Traded old tractor as part of the deal. That way I didn't have to figure out how to move it. This new one is working fine except for a couple of problems. One I have to reinstal the front PTO. Had to pull from the old tractor. The other is the shuttle lever was broken and was welded back together. Pain because there is no nutral ident and it also will not stay in the forward ident. I ground on it today with a side grinder and will see if it holds better Wednesday, lawn cutting day. Thanks for all the help. I just couldn't break the thing apart so will let the repair shop have at it.