Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Timothyb

Where do i put my t-8 gas tank

Timothyb
I'm 13 years old and I'm rebuilding a t-8 homelite. I have run to the problem of where to get pictures of it and where to put the gas tank or where to get a gas tank.

Chris727
There were two kinds of T-8. One is Simplicity-made, looks just like a 728 Broadmoor except its painted blue, the other was made by Allis and has a different hood, dash, mower deck, etc. They may have used two different tanks, most likely the gas tank is no longer made. I might have a manual for this tractor, I'll do some checking.

Chris727
If you have the Simplicity-built model it will be a metal tank that goes in front of the battery.

To determine which model you have see this link: http://www.simpletractors.com/Main/homelite.htm

bud119195

If yours looks like this it is a engine mount tank that is needed. I am putting in a pull start motor so I made a place to put tank were the battery use to be

Timothyb
thanks for the help and the diagrams. Do you guys know a site or someone who is willing to sell there gas tank. I had to get a different motor for my because the that was on it had bad bottom seal. I put the one of my amf mower it's the same beside the pull rope piece on flywheel. There was no gas tank on the old motors. The amf had it mounted by the steering wheel coll um and was shoot. Thanks bud119195, chris727, UCD. Anyone know where to get gas tank for allis homelite t-8.

goatfarmer
If it's the one in Maynard's picture, I would think a shop that repairs engines would have one, they were pretty common.

Chris727
quote:
Originally posted by goatfarmer
If it's the one in Maynard's picture, I would think a shop that repairs engines would have one, they were pretty common.
Agreed, they are incredibly common. Even the old Snapper rear engine riders had these, if this is the kind you need I might have one, but you can probably find one local for less than the cost of shipping one. If its the metal one you need, you'll have to watch eBay for one off an old broadmoor, or you can post a wanted ad in our classified section. Do you know which version of the tractor you have? Did you look at the links? Also I would still save the old engine. Its very easy to replace the bottom oil seal.

Chris727
I'm sorry, I looked at the link I had posted and the T-8 pictures were not very good, so found these pics of member FastPaul's beautifully restored CT-10.

This was a "Simplicity-built" tractor which uses the metal tank. Notice it has a hole in the hood for the filler cap. Bascially if you don't have the hole, you have the Allis-built which uses the plastic tank, if you have one with the hole as shown above, you use the metal tank. Its possible the plastic one will work in both, but I can't say for sure without lining one up.

Timothyb
quote:
Agreed, they are incredibly common. Even the old Snapper rear engine riders had these, if this is the kind you need I might have one, but you can probably find one local for less than the cost of shipping one. If its the metal one you need, you'll have to watch eBay for one off an old broadmoor, or you can post a wanted ad in our classified section. Do you know which version of the tractor you have? Did you look at the links? Also I would still save the old engine. Its very easy to replace the bottom oil seal.
I saved it just in case buy now i have to back up 8hp motors do to my step dad getting me a 11hp Briggs with engine mounted tank. Thanks for all the help guys and gals?

Brettw
By the way Tim, welcome aboard. Great to see a young guy taking up a great hobby, which may very well turn into a profession. Keep up the good work!