Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Tricks for Removing Hubs???

bausmanm

Been trying to remove the rims/hubs on my 811GTII. It is they type that has a keyed metal tube welded to the rim that slides onto the axle (which is also keyed)and held with a retaining ring. As far as I know, they have never been removed. Have tried making a puller using the two holes in the rim-- it doesn't budge and I am starting to deform the rim. I also have a 811GT that does not have the keyed system-- rather they slide on and are pinned. I suspect I am going to have the same issue with it of breaking them loose. What are the tricks to getting it to come apart?

Marvin, I suggest lots of good penetrating oil, some heat, tapping on the tube all around while the puller has pressure on it. Eventually it will come off. Also helps sometimes to try to drive it on a bit to break the rust free. I have an 810 with the pinned rims. Once they are off, clean everything up good, put some good anti-sieze grease on the shaft and reassemble. Then at least once a year, pull them off, clean them, and re grease. It is worth the half hour it takes! Good luck! Steve

When you have the puller installed with pressure on it hit the puller shaft with a hammer and this sometimes breaks them free. It is worth a try, they may pop when you hit the puller with the hammer.