Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

update on my 4041

gregnorth

well got the rubbing or clunking noise figured out. i had a dry drop house on the right side,and the otherside looked milky. drained them both, put in new 90w and jacked it up and spun the rear tires both directions for a few minutes, let it down and pushed it around some and walla, noise was gone. i guess it was just dry gear teeth in the drop house. also finally after 3 tries got the leak at the right rear axel fixed. what ever type of sealer he was using, worked for a few days until the hydrauic fluid ate through it and then it would start leaking again. a friend gave me some sealer made for that purpose so i took it to the guy working on my tractor and told him to try it. walla, no more leak. he was as tired of taking it apart as i was hauling it over there, next time i,ll take it apart myself. as for the noise i had when it was running, that was rear pto which didn't work anyway so i had him take it out, you guessed it , walla, noise was gone. i don't have anything to run off the rear pto at this time anyway. tractor's all done and really looks sharp, purrs like a kitten and i'd love to show you but cannot figure out how to do it. maybe my son can help me next time he's over. i took a ton of pictures before, during and after so maybe i'll get to show you soon. later, greg.

Congrats on getting things figured out. What was the name of that sealant? Also, if you want to sell that rear pto it is very sought after. You'd be able to recover some of your costs. FWIW, I offered up and paid $500 for a complete assembly over the summer.