Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Idle Agitations

Bailey

Ok .... 3012, starts quickly and idles pretty at part choke. Started at factory settings and can't get a good idle without the choke, unless the main needle is waaaay out. Like 4 full turns vs. the 1 1/2 the manual suggests. Also tends to want to sputter on the way to WOT. Once you get there it settles down, but makes me think it'll sputter under a load. Any ideas?

I don't know about the particular engine in a 3012, but every small air-cooled engine I've worked on also has an idle mixture needle. It sounds like that needs to be opened. One thing I do when a carb is acting up is to gently turn the needle all the way in (in case something has blocked the hole) and then turn it out 1 and 1/2 turns (either the main or idle needle). It will usually run with that and you can adjust for optimum from there.

Vacuum leak = warn throttle plate shaft, bad carb base gasket, bad intake manifold gasket. With engine running at idle spray a water mist with a Windex bottle around the throttle plate shaft, base gasket, intake gaskets, one at a time. When the engine smooths out that is where your vacuum leak is.

One other thing to look at. If the engine hesitates when you open the throttle, you should open the main jet just a little to stop the hesitation, then readjust the idle. If the main jet is set too lean it can affect the idle mixture.