Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Starting to like the Sunstar

OrangeMetalGuy

I wasn't too keen on these until just recently. I guess they have a look you have to get used to. But I am starting to like the way they look. And, the hand-controlled hydro, hydro lift and power steering. They seem to be much more plentiful and affordable than a Powermax or Allis equivalent, too. I suppose the Kohler is probably easier on the wallet to repair than the Onan also.

I have a Deutz Allis 1920, which is the same as the sunstar. It has been a very good tractor for me. My grandfather gave it to me, after he owned it for a good 15 years or more and still running strong. I was in the shoes you are in right now when he first got it. It has the kohler 20 hp in it. I would think it would be a step up from the Allis 900 series or the same. Ryan-WI Allis Chalmers 916H Allis Chalmers 917H Deutz Allis 1920H Simplicity 7114S

Everything that I have heard about the Sunstars' performance has been good, with the exception of the front axle and the models made with 14 and 16 hp engines(made for one year only). Apparently the Sunstar was kind of a failure for Simplicity, they did not sell well. I have heard that they were over priced, also they are kind of ugly, I least I think so.

GM sold alot more Chevys than Cadillacs hardly makes Cadillac inferior or a failure.The Sunstar was a top of the line garden tractor when it was sold.Front axles are way heavier than any other garden tractor I know of and I haven't had any problem with any of mine and I use mine as small farm tractors not yard tractors and grass cutters.Sunstar/Ultima models were expensive for a lot of good reasons compared to say the 900/7100 AC/Simplicity models.Its just a heavier more capable tractor that is really in the class of small compacts.I use several of the 900/7100 series tractors and several Sunstars on a regular basis especially during gardening season and the Sunstar/Ultima models are clearly way more tractor.

I would switch to a sunstar in a minute but everything is more money. Many Parts and attachments are more even on the used market...there are just not a lot of them out there. The power steering would be awesome!

On one of my Sunstars I converted a rear tiller hitch to use the 900/7100 rear implements and also lets me use the Brinly sleeve hitch so I can use any sleeve hitch implements.Am now working on a 3pt set up that shouldn't coast over $200 and is much stronger than the original ones.

The Sunstar(s) are really great tractors. I had two of them for years and loved them. I had both of them stripped down to the frames and servicedd/rebuilt both of them. I would have kept both but I purchased a new kubota bx24 and didnt need them any more. I had one guy from ebay drive all the way up from Alabama to buy one!!!! If i had to say one negative thing it would be that the M-20 engines are expensive to fix if something major goes wrong vs the command engines which are a "little" more reasonable to repair.

• 2 weeks later...