Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Cylinder Scratches

Simplicity_728

The cylinder in my 6hp Briggs has small scratches in it. They aren't deep but I would like to get rid of them anyone know? It's a Kool-Bore aluminum cylinder

Im not sure what a Kool-Bore aluminum cyl is ... but... It is generally my understanding that you can not bore an aluminum cylinder... this is common in some 2 cycle engines.. aluminum cyl that is plated... these are not serviceable, unless you have it sleeved or re-plate it. this is the bonus to "cast iron sleeved" cylinders. they can be serviced.

quote:
Originally posted by Willy
I would run a hone through it and see if they would burnish out. Unless they are deep I wouldn't worry to much about them.
+1here... hope you can simply hone and replace std rings... is there an underlying concern, like does it burn oil? you might just need a hone and new rings... beyond that I stick by what I said ... good luck ... keep us posted...

I don't know for sure, but the Briggs service manual does decribe boring aluminum cylinders oversized and does list a part# for their stones. I didn't see any reference to "Kool-Bore" in the cylinder section.

As far as I know Kool-Bore is the name they gave to their special alloy they use to make their engines. They say a standard hone should not be used but we have not any problems using one. Supposedly these engines can be re-bored as well.

It smokes really bad on start up but otherwise it's fine. uses an about 1oz of oil per hour which briggs says is normal for the aluminum cylinder engines

Back in the days of running 8hp Briggs on a 2kw winco generator I was told NOT to hone them as they have a 'glaze' on the cly walls to harden them. If this is removed the piston will cease up as soon as it gets warmed up good. If they are more rebuildable then a set of rings, which I did at least once to them all, I likely have half a doz engines I could rebuild. If I were you, I'd just put a new set of rings in it and call it good.

quote:
Originally posted by MPH
If I were you, I'd just put a new set of rings in it and call it good.
++1 my guess is that the "glaze" you refer to is the plating... dont monkey around too much with an Al cyl...

I took a piece of sand paper and got rid of the scratches and then polished the cylinder with a buffing wheel on the drill. Looks brand new and the compression is a little bit better. It still smokes on start up but it is gas smoke from being choked to start it.