Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
mike_sdak

cold hydro?

mike_sdak
I was blowing snow with my 917H yesterday, and the trans. seemed awfully sluggish - ground speeds were about 1 mph max. I thought the fluid was low, so I added about 1 pt total (added several times). It started acting more like it should (faster ground speeds when hydro lever is advanced), but it still acted a bit sluggish. It was about 10 degrees with a 20 mph wind. I am running standard hydraulic fluid. My guess is the fluid either doesn't flow well at that temp, or mine is contaminated with water (somehow). I am thinking of switching to Dexron III or similar ATF, with a filter change. Thoughts?

mike_sdak
I went out and bought 3 quarts of wal-mart brand "automatic transmission fluid", "for use in vehicles previously serviceable by Dexron-III and Mercon Brands" I also bought a NAPA 1335 filter, which is the same as the current filter on the trans. I was all ready to change the fluid, with the sluggish cold temp. behavior of the trans. when filled with hydraulic oil, but I now have cold feet....Is this the right fluid, or should I go out and buy "Type F" trans. fluid?? Or, stick with hydraulic and use a magnetic heater on the trans? I realize that's maybe a personal preference question, but several here have recommended Dexron, and I am ignorant as to whether I have purchased the right fluid or not. Thanks for all of your help,

BLT
First if all the transmission is aluminum and that makes it non - magnetic. Mercon and Dexron are virually the same fluid and also good with type "F". The garden tractor transmissions are not as brutal on lubes as highway service is so you should be OK.

mike_sdak
Thanks Bob. I guess I meant the cast iron rear end, which I used last night. It did seem to help some, but I would prefer to use a better-flowing fluid, I think.