Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

head gasket NLA

steve-wis

I just called my local briggs dealer to get a head gasket for a '68 yeoman i picked up. Part number is 270340. Was suprised to learn it is NLA, except in the total engine gasket set which is about $20. I bought one from ebay for $3.25 instead. Seems strange to me that they would have them for the sets but won't sell them by themselves. Is this just a way to get more of my hard-earned toy money, or is there a logical reason? Steve

I suspect either it is a very low movement item (very few 6hp engines still running) or the number was superceded and the "old" number dropped from the dealer price list. It also possible these parts aren't acutally being made anymore, might just be selling through whats left and all thats still there are some complete sets. I don't thinks its a conspiracy. If they wanted more of your money, they'd have charged $100 for the gasket set like their competitor "Kohler" does.

Might be right, I thought there were quite a few of the old simplicitys running with the 6 hp yet tho. I see alot of them. Wasn't a number change, the dealer checked that. Guess I am glad I found the one on ebay. If I ever need another head gasket, I guess the engine will have to be scrapped, seems like an awful shame tho. Steve

quote:
Originally posted by xenon172
It's still available and is also available aftermarket. Find a new dealer
Whats the new number? I checked Briggs PowerPortal and checked all my quick reference books and couldn't find that part as being current.

Dealer by me has told me in the past these older engines are being phased out. Parts are going to be harder and harder to obtain. Government wants small engines to be quieter and more efficient. I have known these people since I was a kid and do not doubt this at all

quote:
Originally posted by Chris727
quote:
Originally posted by xenon172
It's still available and is also available aftermarket. Find a new dealer
Whats the new number? I checked Briggs PowerPortal and checked all my quick reference books and couldn't find that part as being current.
The info I got was incorrect. There is an after market gasket that fits the 140000 series engines at least according to this site. But Briggs only supplies it in the gasket kit as you stated. The latest part number they list is for a 3 1/2 hp engine http://tewarehouse.com/7-02420

I think the 3-1/2hp engines have a slightly smaller bore than the 6. Its possible that they enlargened the center opening on the gasket allowing it to fit a wider range of engines.

quote:
Originally posted by bud119195
272163 is the replacement # acording to Jack Small Eng I would find a new parts supplier that knows whats going on
272163S gasket is replacement for 270430 which is for the 7 & 8 HP engine . I think I have the current 6HP gasket P/N but sent a note to Briggs to confirm it.

Yes, the gasket is pt. #270340, not 270430. Bob has it right. I did find that some dealers still have just the head gasket in stock. Got an email from a club member who is near me who has some in stock yet, but I already ordered one off of ebay. If you do a search on sepw for a 270340 gasket, it also tells you it is only available in the complete engine kit. I guess all I am saying is if you don't want to buy the entire kit, you might want to pick up a spare while they can still be found. Steve