Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

B-12

Robert_Rainwater

Got the front lift shaft back in my B-12 today. Only one problem with the repairs. I replaced one of the fiber disc in the drive shaft and forgot to put the hydro lift belt on before I put the drive shaft back in. I blamed my brother for that mistake, because I knew I wouldn't do something that dumb. All done and running again, so now I can use my snow blade, except now the snow has all melted. O well, next year.

I'll see what I can do. I'm not sure I'm computer literate enough to do the picture thing. I can tear a tractor down completely and put it back together without a manual, but I don't know about pictures on a forum.

I had three choices: 1. cut the belt(staple it back together), 2.cut the drive shaft(weld it back together), 3.remove and replace the drive shaft after putting belt on. Hard decision. Maybe 4 choices, could remove engine.

How about pulling the bolts holding the shaft to the engine and sliding the hydro pulley out? I have not put an engine in one of these tractors YET, that I remembered to put the s/g belt on before bolting the driveshaft up!dz DO NOT feel alone!:D

I got it, I took the bgb end of the drive shaft loose and put it on that way. I'll try to put some pictures when I have more time.

I might be wrong as it's been a spell since I had drive shaft off one but can't you get the belt on by just removing the spacers on the fiber coupler?

quote:
Originally posted by MPH
I might be wrong as it's been a spell since I had drive shaft off one but can't you get the belt on by just removing the spacers on the fiber coupler?
yes it can, its just the point of haveing to re-do it :D.

The end that goes to the engine, with the hydro pulley and spacers, is harder to line up than the end toward the bgb. I had everything off the tractor, the dash,gas tank,etc, so that end was easier, or at least i thought so. The shaft, from an old shuttle tractor, was of a larger diameter than the original B-12 shaft.