Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Kohler K301 carb

Les

A Kohler K301 followed me home. It runs pretty good but I think it needs a carb clean out and adjust, been so many years since I had a Kohler I forgot how. Can somebody help me out? It is he** getting old!

leave the carb on the tractor, pull the main & lo-jet, pull the bowl, and pull the gas line. spray it with cleaner, blow all the ports out with compressed air, put it back together, set the low-jet out 1 1/4 turns and the main jet 2 turns out. fire it up and do your finale adjustments to where it runs good.

Hi. Might be a good idea to check out the fuel pump while you are at it. There is a screen in there that can accumulate an amazing amount of crud over the years.

Thanks, I know a lot of guys love their Kohlers, and they are good engines(except for the Triad) but they are just more complicated and more stuff to go wrong than on a Briggs. Kohlers are hard on us dummies. Thanks, now I kinda remember doing it before, been several years.

Les, I prefer the Kohler carbs to work on over the Briggs. Most of the time the briggs carbs I get are junk. Either crusted badly with white residue or the bowl assembly will not mate to the throttle body without leaking. Maybe I'm wrong, but they seem to warp or something. The Kohler carbs come apart way easier for me as well. What Perry says for disassembly and cleaning ,other than I prefer to take my carbs off to clean.

I have learned by playing with briggs and kohler carbs that kohler has a more simple carb. Briggs seem to always need that carb work. Hmmm, maybe it's a good thing I got a kohler on the GTH-L.

One thing I am learning, which says alot as I am pretty dense, is that Simplicities just have to be the easiest garden tractors to work on there is. This Minneapolis Moline(Jacobsen) I just bought has the carb pointed toward the back of the tractor, only a couple of inches from the cowl, very hard to get at and I will have to remove the heat sheild as well. Makes me really appreciate the old Soveriegn types even more. Simplicity was not just a name it was school of design. I wish that Moline had beat Allis to market Simplicity garden tractors. I never liked Allis farm tractors, with the exception of the 190XT and the D21. So I had to get a Jacobsen to match my Minneapolis Moline G1000 tractor. Actually, I dont like Molines either, except for the 1965 and newer models. I never liked John Deeres until the Deer started jumping UP instead of DOWN! That really did it for me!!!!sm01sm01sm01 Maybe I should go back to Sovereigns again. Sam, have you still got my old tractors???????

One of my coworkers has a Deere with the starter out. In order to replace the starter, you have to half pull the engine. That is why Simple Green is a cleaner and not a tractor. ^

quote:
Originally posted by Les
Maybe I should go back to Sovereigns again. Sam, have you still got my old tractors???????
I have Soveriegns, but not yours. All I have left of your stuff is maybe a few parts and a old yellow deck. I trade mowers and cars like I change underwear:p I wouldnt go back to Soveriegns to mow with all the time, the ConQuest is a whole lot better. You should come over and try out my Simplicity Champion ZT. It even outmows the ConQuest, with the exception of not liking steep banks for traction. I do have one Soveriegn setup to mow with a 48 deck. I use it to trimout the yard and mow the slopes the ZT wont do. The thing I miss about the ConQuest package is the power rotator on the blower. I still havnt taken the time to make up another one for my current tractor.8

I was just joking, Sovereigns are great but they are all too old now, I just cant keep em running any more... either that or I am too old. Mosy likely that latter. I would love to have a new zero turn but I guess the Conquest will have to last me a while yet. Plus us old guys need snowblowers and snow cabs, probably really expensive to set up a ZT for snow, even if I wanted to spend the bucks, would the zero turn have enough traction to do a good job blowing snow? I know that they mow grass like crazy, but even the Conquest has trouble mowing the road ditch, I would be afraid to tackle it with a ZT. I honestly believe that my best upgrade would be to some kind of a 4 wheel drive outfit. True, it would not mow grass near as fast as a ZT, but I need to stay alive while mowing the road bank.