Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Snow Thrower Spout Bushing

kenmill1958

I repainted the spout for my snow thrower yesterday due to the rust and snow clogging in the chute. Noticed how much play there was in the area around the base where it attactes to the thrower. I took a clorox bottle and cut the straight round center section out. Put a space heater in front of the snow thrower to warm the unit up. The bottle was slightly under size. By heating the unit up I was able to stretch it around the base. Fit is perfect. Reattached the spout. What a differnce in how smoothly it operates!!! Just figured I would share ths info. Ken

If what I'm visualizing is correct...this sounds like a reasonable (cheap), way to get a bearing surface between the chute and its base:) I'm guessing that you're using the 1/2 gallon size container.

Gary, Yes exactly!! If you remove the chute you have the 6in collar sticking straight up. Cut the bottle an stretch it over the collar. A little heat will be required. Space heater got the steel nice and warm. There will be a little extra material which an be trimmed.

quote:
Originally posted by Ronald Hribar
great idea probably would have thought of it myself if alcohol did not kill all the brain cells
That's when I do my best thinking after a healthy dose of alcohol. I can come up with some of the most brilliant ideas you ever heard of. I just can't remember what they were the next day.:o):(

Well I'll have to say mine should be dead also. Luckly I was sober for this one. You are right though some great ideas come together when you have a buzz

Good ol' yankee ingenuity. Great idea, I shall have to implement it myself. You get an 'at-a-boy! (After 1,000 'at-a-boys, you get a huge prize. Note: one aw-crap wipes out all 'at-a-boys and you have to start all over.)8D

quote:
Originally posted by sammiefish
great idea... ! now ive gotta come up with an idea as to how to use all this Clorox!
Pour the Clorox onto your drive tires and then spin them on blacktop, concrete, or asphalt... see what happens:D:OdOd!!! Dan

Simpleton7016
quote:
now ive gotta come up with an idea as to how to use all this Clorox!
I think my wife slips it in my meals one teaspoon at a time.....:(

quote:
Originally posted by Simpleton7016
quote:
now ive gotta come up with an idea as to how to use all this Clorox!
I think my wife slips it in my meals one teaspoon at a time.....:(
If you would of left the Mineshaft on time she wouldn't feed you it

• 1 month later...
Well had post printed, and finally found it while going to our local dump last Saturday. Found a bleach bottle for my 36" blower. One problem for me was 1/2 gallon too small, one gallon too large. Don't know if 42" and 36" are different or not. So cut the one gallon in a "V" cut, wrapped the snout, measured (only once hahaha) and re-cut the "V". Left about a 1/16" gap, put the top back on, and man that works great. After years of grease, white lith, oil and other trials, works smooth and free. No more metal on metal. Thanks again for the great idea. Will have to see how well the cut plastic works over next winter. Enjoy spring!