Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

FLASHBACK 2/17/2010 - - Snow or Stripes?

Vassal

After seeing Architectdave's recent thread "Grass or Snow?", I thought it would be neat to revisit my thread on the same from almost exactly three years back. Please don't follow up here, stay current with Dave's thread instead > [url]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=124012[/url] ---------------------------------------------------------------------- I'm not sure which is more fun, pushing snow or pasting stripes. How about you? The 7016H dream crusher at work last week (AC hood courtesy MarksA-C bone pile). I'm routinely amazed at what this thing can do.
[img]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4050/4365284820_b30b458ca4_o.jpg[/img]
Here's one I dug up when suffering from cabin fever. This was last summer(?) and my first attempt at my soon-to-be patented "Bullseye Stripes" using my 727 ankle breaker. I had yet to post any stripe pics so I thought I'd throw it in for those that yearn for spring:(
[img]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4026/4365284826_023bc1b5da_o.jpg[/img]

Well, in the summer when it's 100 out I want to play in the snow. Then when it's snowing and 10 out and I'm blowing snow all over me I want the grass to grow and be 100 again. Guess I never happy.....8D

I agree with Storm, switch back and forth. But I do enjoy seeing how much white I can move, and each winter tweaking the tractor/blower better each year. Guess in summer don't feel as involved with the deck, as with the blower. Just my $.02

My issue is where I am we are not getting nearly the snow i would like!! I know alot of you guys are done with it but we've only had really one good storm this year, otherwise just 2 or 3 inches every couple days... If we're not going to get big snow I prefer it to be summer!

I agree with Chris. It does not matter if we get 2 or 3 inches or 6 plus. It takes me the same amount of time to clear the drive, dog kennel and required paths. So I feel if I have to clean the driveway and everything else I want it to be worth my while and that means 6 or more inches. And if I had a choice it would be a foot. Rick..........

Snow is great, stripes are great, but once I get my tractor set up with a nice brinly 8 or 10 inch plow, turning dirt will be great too! Oh, tilling is great too. Heck, just changing the oil and stuff is great. (Maybe I need to get out more?) Steve

Like to work the ground best,with a turn plow,disc, or use a tiller. Something special about getting a good stand of grass to cut. Pushing dirt is fun to. Snow is OK.

BRRRRRRRRRRR! Snow is fun but I have to agree with Perry, Steve and Larry. I have over 3 acres I am plowing, discing then tilling. I am actually thinking of holding a plow day when the temps start to rise. 8D

Hey that's not fair, I only asked about snow and stripes! I aint got no fancy plows and stuffC sm06I guess you got me there, I should have taken some shots with the tiller action and added that choice too. I'll do that next time!

quote:
Originally posted by steve-wis
Snow is great, stripes are great, but once I get my tractor set up with a nice brinly 8 or 10 inch plow, turning dirt will be great too! Oh, tilling is great too. Heck, just changing the oil and stuff is great. (Maybe I need to get out more?) Steve
Steve, it does sound like you don't get out much. Maybe you need a hobby?sm06 :p

VASSAL, i commented once before that snow is more fun but here is a pic for you for the work you did mowing the lawn.

good job 8D TOM

I would vote for winter as I get to spend more time on the tractors blowing and plowingdOd. The Mrs. loves to mow (on a tractor mind you), and does it as needed so I only get misc time in the summer, pulling trailer, grading drive, tilling, etc. But any seat time is a great time. Greg

quote:
I'm not sure which is more fun, pushing snow or pasting stripes. How about you?
Do we have to choose? Tiger didn't have to choose.......... :o)

Greg, has a good point. I get tractor time between 10/1 and 5/1 pretty much. My wife likes to get away from everyone in the summer mowing the lawn. Really seems like a reason for another tractor, to have seat time year around. Then in few year my boys could each run a tractor and the Wife and I could sit back and relax. :D

Thanks tubaTom! If this winter ever ends, it will close my first full year as a tractor owner with all seasons covered. Both of my runners amaze me all the time with what they can do, but after pushing back some huge snow piles, I see what you guys have been saying all along - these things are tough!

dOdSnow is fun; mow is fun; till is fun and sitting in the shop looking at yellow or orange iron with a cold one in your hand is fun. I'd say us people got the perfect hobby(sickness,addiction).sm06

Well lookie there.....I thought I was the only one with one of these.....

In the same haul I also got one of these.....

And one of these...

Unfortunately.......it was all from a dealer that closed it's doors that had been in business since the 1940s. They even had a Simplicity Hit-Miss on display and countless (unavailable to purchase) signs, memorabilia etc. As for Snow or Stripes......I keep track of seasonal fuel consumption and this year......we're in the snow belt! I have surpassed last Spring, Summer and Falls fuel consumption. But I also clear all my neighbors drives and the roads to the main thoroughfare. We have had quite a bit and although I like clearing snow, I have to side with Stripes. With my health troubles, backing up and checking for traffic is a Winter thing and often I have at least a couple days of recovery time. With mowing.....I'm usually good the day after the 4 days I mow. With three acres, I have it sectioned off into 4 fairly equal lots. Also......Stripes just look better...lol.

Cool pics guysdOd More snow means more pics right? I think I might like the snow better! The machine was trying to hide, maybe a little camera shy today....
[img]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4044/4380975238_f665a9ebd6_o.jpg[/img]
Oh wait...I think I see it.....
[img]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2720/4380975242_243125455a_o.jpg[/img]
Yup, I think that's her right there....
[img]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4043/4380975244_5b1e131bba_o.jpg[/img]
Boo-Yah!!
[img]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4017/4380975250_0d38afb468_o.jpg[/img]

I'd have to pick snow (As long as its on a weekend). Mowing the yard seems more like a chore then plowing snow. Plus you do more work with the snow...