Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

FLASHBACK 2/17/2010 - - Snow or Stripes?

Vassal

After seeing Architectdave's recent thread "Grass or Snow?", I thought it would be neat to revisit my thread on the same from almost exactly three years back. Please don't follow up here, stay current with Dave's thread instead > [url]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=124012[/url] ---------------------------------------------------------------------- I'm not sure which is more fun, pushing snow or pasting stripes. How about you? The 7016H dream crusher at work last week (AC hood courtesy MarksA-C bone pile). I'm routinely amazed at what this thing can do.
[img]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4050/4365284820_b30b458ca4_o.jpg[/img]
Here's one I dug up when suffering from cabin fever. This was last summer(?) and my first attempt at my soon-to-be patented "Bullseye Stripes" using my 727 ankle breaker. I had yet to post any stripe pics so I thought I'd throw it in for those that yearn for spring:(
[img]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4026/4365284826_023bc1b5da_o.jpg[/img]

Well, in the summer when it's 100 out I want to play in the snow. Then when it's snowing and 10 out and I'm blowing snow all over me I want the grass to grow and be 100 again. Guess I never happy.....8D

I agree with Storm, switch back and forth. But I do enjoy seeing how much white I can move, and each winter tweaking the tractor/blower better each year. Guess in summer don't feel as involved with the deck, as with the blower. Just my $.02

My issue is where I am we are not getting nearly the snow i would like!! I know alot of you guys are done with it but we've only had really one good storm this year, otherwise just 2 or 3 inches every couple days... If we're not going to get big snow I prefer it to be summer!

I agree with Chris. It does not matter if we get 2 or 3 inches or 6 plus. It takes me the same amount of time to clear the drive, dog kennel and required paths. So I feel if I have to clean the driveway and everything else I want it to be worth my while and that means 6 or more inches. And if I had a choice it would be a foot. Rick..........

Snow is great, stripes are great, but once I get my tractor set up with a nice brinly 8 or 10 inch plow, turning dirt will be great too! Oh, tilling is great too. Heck, just changing the oil and stuff is great. (Maybe I need to get out more?) Steve

Like to work the ground best,with a turn plow,disc, or use a tiller. Something special about getting a good stand of grass to cut. Pushing dirt is fun to. Snow is OK.

BRRRRRRRRRRR! Snow is fun but I have to agree with Perry, Steve and Larry. I have over 3 acres I am plowing, discing then tilling. I am actually thinking of holding a plow day when the temps start to rise. 8D

Hey that's not fair, I only asked about snow and stripes! I aint got no fancy plows and stuffC sm06I guess you got me there, I should have taken some shots with the tiller action and added that choice too. I'll do that next time!

quote:
Originally posted by steve-wis
Snow is great, stripes are great, but once I get my tractor set up with a nice brinly 8 or 10 inch plow, turning dirt will be great too! Oh, tilling is great too. Heck, just changing the oil and stuff is great. (Maybe I need to get out more?) Steve
Steve, it does sound like you don't get out much. Maybe you need a hobby?sm06 :p

VASSAL, i commented once before that snow is more fun but here is a pic for you for the work you did mowing the lawn.

good job 8D TOM

I would vote for winter as I get to spend more time on the tractors blowing and plowingdOd. The Mrs. loves to mow (on a tractor mind you), and does it as needed so I only get misc time in the summer, pulling trailer, grading drive, tilling, etc. But any seat time is a great time. Greg

quote:
I'm not sure which is more fun, pushing snow or pasting stripes. How about you?
Do we have to choose? Tiger didn't have to choose.......... :o)

Greg, has a good point. I get tractor time between 10/1 and 5/1 pretty much. My wife likes to get away from everyone in the summer mowing the lawn. Really seems like a reason for another tractor, to have seat time year around. Then in few year my boys could each run a tractor and the Wife and I could sit back and relax. :D

Thanks tubaTom! If this winter ever ends, it will close my first full year as a tractor owner with all seasons covered. Both of my runners amaze me all the time with what they can do, but after pushing back some huge snow piles, I see what you guys have been saying all along - these things are tough!

dOdSnow is fun; mow is fun; till is fun and sitting in the shop looking at yellow or orange iron with a cold one in your hand is fun. I'd say us people got the perfect hobby(sickness,addiction).sm06

Well lookie there.....I thought I was the only one with one of these.....

In the same haul I also got one of these.....

And one of these...

Unfortunately.......it was all from a dealer that closed it's doors that had been in business since the 1940s. They even had a Simplicity Hit-Miss on display and countless (unavailable to purchase) signs, memorabilia etc. As for Snow or Stripes......I keep track of seasonal fuel consumption and this year......we're in the snow belt! I have surpassed last Spring, Summer and Falls fuel consumption. But I also clear all my neighbors drives and the roads to the main thoroughfare. We have had quite a bit and although I like clearing snow, I have to side with Stripes. With my health troubles, backing up and checking for traffic is a Winter thing and often I have at least a couple days of recovery time. With mowing.....I'm usually good the day after the 4 days I mow. With three acres, I have it sectioned off into 4 fairly equal lots. Also......Stripes just look better...lol.

Cool pics guysdOd More snow means more pics right? I think I might like the snow better! The machine was trying to hide, maybe a little camera shy today....
[img]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4044/4380975238_f665a9ebd6_o.jpg[/img]
Oh wait...I think I see it.....
[img]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2720/4380975242_243125455a_o.jpg[/img]
Yup, I think that's her right there....
[img]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4043/4380975244_5b1e131bba_o.jpg[/img]
Boo-Yah!!
[img]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4017/4380975250_0d38afb468_o.jpg[/img]

I'd have to pick snow (As long as its on a weekend). Mowing the yard seems more like a chore then plowing snow. Plus you do more work with the snow...

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online
  • Recent Status Updates

• gwiseman

gwiseman

As you know SimpletrACtors.com has changed some recently. Working through this so PM me with questions, suggestions, and/or challenges you have. Appreciate your patience and feedback.
      · 0 replies
    • gwiseman

gwiseman

Site programming updates were made 3/23/2024. As a result some things have changed including dues payment options. We will continue maintenance and work with technicians to regain credit card payment option and clear up minor challenges. On positive it appears attaching pictures is now easier. Good day. Gene 
      · 1 reply
  • Adverts