Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
junkpile

7116 7117 condition?

junkpile
I'm going to look at a pair of Simplicity tractors on Saturday, a 7116 and a 7117 both minus their engines. I have a good running 16hp Briggs from a parts machine, an older 7016 which needs a home and I figured the newer machines would be the better choice to fix up rather than the abused 7016 I have here now. What should I look for on these as far as condition other than the obvious cosmetic issues and visible wear? I keep hearing about bevel gear boxes and other wear items on Simplicity tractors but does a hydrostatic machine have such a gear box? Both of the tractors I'm going to see were running machines parted out for their engines, the one has four new tires, the other needs front tires, both have decks, both have hydraulic lift, one has a snow plow. I bought the 7016 I have after looking for a place to use another 16hp Briggs I have but it turned out that both engines are good. So now if I can find a nice pair of tractors, I can set up one for pulling and one for mowing.

Simpleton7016
[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2cwAUP0Gjw&feature=channel[/url] [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSjainHre-M&feature=channel[/url] [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAivZZsjqnE&feature=channel[/url] These will tell you most everything you need to know.

junkpile
I saw those videos, but does the 7116 and 7117 Hydro still use a bevel gear box? What does the bevel gear box do? Does it drive the tractor or the deck? For the most part I don't need a PTO drive at all, just pulling power. Is there a way to tell if a Hydrostatic trans might be good or bad? The seller said he tested both by turning the drive shaft by hand and the wheels turned. Is that all that can be done to try to determine if the thing will work once I install an engine? Both tractors are supposed to look great as far as paint and being clean but I'll see about that when I get there Sat. I just don't want a total rebuild project, I need a tractor to use not one to work on.

UCD
The BGB is a right angle gear drive, it connects to the drive shaft from the engine and transmits power to the transmission and also to the PTO clutch that drives the powered attachments Mower, Blower, Tiller, Leaf Vac.

Chris727
All of the large frame garden tractors from model year 1959 to 2000 have a bevel gear box regardless of transmission type. The 3300, 3400, 7000, and 7100 are all large frame tractors with bevel gear boxes. Please see the quick ref page at the link for more detail on which machines fit this category. http://www.simpletractors.com/Main/quick_ref.htm

OrangeMetalGuy
Check the axle tube between the transaxle housing and the differential. Make sure there are no cracks in the tube. It can be replaced, but a new tube is around $165.

junkpile
Well, after reading today's posts I got on the phone with the guy and started asking questions. Up till this point we hadn't talked much about price either. When I pushed him for a price, he kept on about me making an offer. I finally got him to state what he wanted, and when he said $50, I was all but speechless, my hesitation to speak I think led him to throw in another parts machine and a load of spare parts, including a spare older trans, two bevel gear boxes, and several milk crates full of parts. I left work early, borrowed a trailer on my way out and headed right over to get these. I pretty much maxed out the single axle trailer I took with me. I got both the 7117, and 7116 Hydrostatic machines, the 7116 looks really good, he claims it was near new when he stole the motor off it, the 7117 is in nice shape but well used, but not beat up. Both are missing their motors and driveshaft couplers but the drive shafts are there. The 7116 has mint tires on it, maybe even brand new, if not it was stripped of it's motor when new as all four tires have the little nubs on them yet. The parts tractor is a 7016 three speed with a hi/lo lever, it's complete but the carb is stripped of some parts. He swore it ran but he took carb parts off it. It's steering is also seized the steering wheel spun on it's hub. It will also need tires up front and a new seat. It had good spark and compression and fired immediately with a shot of carb cleaner. There are also a half dozen milk crate full of misc. parts, spare spindles, two bevel gear boxes, (one looks new), and a spare older hydro trans missing its axle assembly. (I can look right through the trans where the axle shafts should be). Supposedly he swiped the axles from it to fix another tractor. Now all I need to do is sort all of it out, figure out what I need to make one complete, (maybe two), and figure out what is junk, and what is to keep. The 7016 has a deck too, it's not pretty but appears functional and not rusty, the 7117 has a snow plow, the 7116 has a rear hitch set up and a cultivator which looks pretty old but still usable. I guess for $50 I got my money's worth just in the four new tires, let alone the plow and the other parts, and maybe even another running machine or two. I did trial fit a motor I have here onto the 7116, I see they must have changed the coupler system on the later models, the driveshaft comes up about 4" short of the motor, was there a wider coupler on these machines other than those fiber disks? I still have to get a good look I guess at the bevel gear box condition on each of these but I suppose there's enough parts here now to make at least one or two good ones. I only wish I had this snow plow a week or two ago. It sure would have come in handy in all that snow we had.

junkpile
Now all I need is some warm weather to work on these. I hadn't intended to have four of these things, but I guess when I'm all done I'll have at least two good running machines, rather than one beat up one. I stopped back where I got these tonight, he found another box of parts and what appears to be nearly a nearly complete other tractor that was completely torn apart. It looks to be a 3400 model very similar to my first machine, with a newer motor which is stripped down to a short block. At this point I'm all but out of room to store these, so as soon as the weather breaks I'll have to break down the parts machines to gain some space. The two keepers seem to be my original machine and one of the 7100 models. I'll part out the second 7100 to support the other.