Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
RUMBLEFISH

I am getting frustrated

RUMBLEFISH
Well I bought a new exhaust valve and trying to get those darn little collars on the bottom of the valve. I bought a valve compressor tool from Jacks but I don't think its the right one but more of a universal unit. Anyway does anyone have a trick the use to compress the spring and install the collars?

RUMBLEFISH
I bought this same tool and and no way does it leave me room to insert the collars. If someone has used this please let me know how you made it work. Thanks http://www.toolrage.com/prodView.asp?sku=KDT-379

UCD
Put a little dab of grease on a pocket screwdriver or magnetize the end put the lock on the end of the screwdriver blade and insert it into the lock grooves.

Chris727
I have one of those and use it regularly. If used properly you can get just enough room to slip the keepers in place using the methods Maynard has posted. If you're having trouble with it slipping off, you need to get the side screw adjustments so that they aren't so tight that they push themselves off the spring, but instead so that there is just sufficent drag to hold it in place and to keep the jaws from spreading too much.

Bailey
My two cents worth .... my clamp looks exactly like this one below (only much older and welded back together) and I find it much easier to work around. And yep, the grease is definitely a must ...... http://www.toolrage.com/prodview.asp?sku=LIS-23300

RUMBLEFISH
quote:
Originally posted by Bailey
My two cents worth .... my clamp looks exactly like this one below (only much older and welded back together) and I find it much easier to work around. And yep, the grease is definitely a must ...... http://www.toolrage.com/prodview.asp?sku=LIS-23300
That is the tool that would work for me. Well one way or the other I will get this done by tonight.:)

BLT
I have both. For keepers I have had better luck with the former as opposed to the latter. Didn't say that I said a few of these " (*^%*%^ ", but it got the job done.

MrSteele
I used one long screwdriver for years, coupled with a lot of expletives deleted! I got the first tool above, adjusted it, and have had no trouble in years using it on any small engine. It takes a bit of getting used to