Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

JB Weld 2 part Epoxy, What have you done with this

sun41bird

I am just curious about this stuff. The package tells you that you can fix just about anything with it. Has anyone ever fixed anything with it ? If so how does it work ? I know it is not the ideal way to fix things but sometimes we have to make sacrifices for whatever reasons. I have a machine that the carb is junk. I don't want to buy one yet so I am going to explore and see if this could fix a hole. I want to get the machine running and from there depending on how things work I will invest in a good carb.

It is not a miraculous as they claim but it will fix a hole in a gas tank so I guess it will fix a hole in a carb. :) I have used it many times. It's just glorified bondo in my opinion. -Don M

Just about anything, though it isn't a cure ALL it does do some wonders. I first heard of it when my dad glued the V hole in a lawn mower block where the rod took a short cut exit. I was still in high school then, seems he put in a new rod and piston, honed the cyl hole and mowed with that ole 3 wheeled mower til the early 90s, fixed the rad in my pickup at 50 below 3 winters ago when the tank started leakin on top. I always keep it around. MPH

I have repaired carbs with JB before. I also had to make a spacer to go in between a carb and a manifold on a Ford truck once and I needed to seal up a vacuum port. I cleaned the area very well and then roughened up the area to be sealed off. I then prepared the JB per it's instructions. Since it was a large area to seal I had to layer it. I had to let it cure in between layers and then I would sand it to get A slightly rough surface. Needless to say, the spacer has performed well and has been resistant to underhood heat and fuel mixtures.I have also used this to repair radiators and gas tanks also. I had an old Briggs motor once that kept losing it's plug out of the end of it's carb so I cleaned the area real well and used a thin bead of JB to hold it in place. If I need to take the plug out I can just file the JB away and pop the plug out. I have experimented some with it and have found out that it will not hold up very well under stress. So just use your best judgement.I had an air filter housing wear into the top of a carb once on a truck and it wore a groove into the carb airfilter housing mount. I was able to build up that area like new. Then I got a new air filter housing for the truck and haven't had any more problems there. There are other applications I have used it for but it would just sound like a commercial for Jb weld...LOL, but I do keep it around the house and garage. It does come in handy. I like it because it is resistant to gasoline and oils.

It sounds like the stuff works pretty good for what it is. I am trying to get a machine running but don't have a good carb. So I figured I would try this first before starting the hunt for a carb. I am fixing a area at the bottom of the float bowl, or should I say experimenting with this area and JB Weld. I think I will go the layered approach letting it fully dry between layers, scuffing it and applying another layer as I am dealing with gas. I had one flaming experiment with leaking gas, had to call the FD.

I have a Stainless steel rod that supports my 25 hp Suzuki Outboard motor while I'm traveling. The rod goes through the frame of the trailer. It had two steel washers around the rod to hold the rod from going clear under the trailer, through the hole. Well the washers rusted off. I bought some stainess steel washers for it, but couldn't find anyone to weld them on for me. So out of desperation, I tried JB Weld. those washers have been supporting the Heavy outboard for 3 years without failure and they are still taking a beating everytime I drive down the road! I'm sold on the stuff! 80) Dick