Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Adding dual hydraulic controls on Sunstar

OrangeMetalGuy

How difficult is it to add (and how hard/expensive to find parts) to add the 2nd hydraulic circuit and controls? Thinking power-angle plow :D

I would like to know, also. I am going to try it for a 3 point. The hydralic supply/return shouldn't be too tough. I bought a valve and a lever off eBay. Mine is a Deutz-Allis. I plan to add mine under the rear fender though. If I get anywhere with mine I'll let you know!

I've never actually pulled the covers off and looked at mine. It was dealer installed when new. I believe it to be just a second spool valve piggy backed to the one for the lift. Both control handles are together. Mine is for the hydraulic angle on the front blade. Both rear lift systems, the Simp. lift group, and the 3-point, as well as the front lift, work off the same rock shaft as the deck lift. All are either up or down at the same time. Joe just sold a valve for $13.49 http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370333420819&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT The stock lever would have to be reshaped but shouldn't be a problem.

It has to be two valves set up to work together, or you will need to plumb the return line of the first valve into the supply valve of the second valve. These are set up as what is known as an "open center" system. There is no pressure developed until the valve diverts the fluid flow to a cylinder. If you try to put the two valves in parallel with a "T" in the supply line and another in the return, then they cannot develop pressure because one of them is sending the flow back to the tank even when the other is closed. They must be plumbed so that the same flow goes through both valves, in other words, plumbed in series. This is pressure to first inlet, first outlet to second inlet, second outlet return to tank.

I am getting ready to install dual hydraulics on my Sunstar with a power sweeper attachment. It needs the second control to angle the brush. I got a dual spool valve from a 300 series John Deere and will mount using the factory holes in the Sunstar. I am going to run two hydraulic hoses down to the right front corner to attach to the hoses from the swepster's cylinder. I used an extra handle from a parted out Sunstar and cut the welds on the sleeve of the handle and changed the offset. I will take some pics of the conversion. Dan