Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Does this 728 look like it is worth 150.00

AC_B-1Novice

What does the 728 stand for? is it a 7hp 28 inch cut? Is it horizontal? It runs but needs minor electrical what ever that means. Would it work a push blade ok? Thanks larry

8hp 36" cut. Vertical shaft Briggs. I have a 728 and it's a great little garden tractor and yes it can work a plow no problem. Very strong.

It is a 728 Broadmoor lawn tractor. All of the broadmoors had vertical shaft engines. This one has an 8hp with a 36" deck. It will push a blade just fine as long as you add chains and weights. It will use a different blade hitch from what your large frame tractors do. http://www.simpletractors.com/simplicity/new_in_1970/broadmoor.htm As far as price goes, if the engine is mint then maybe, but otherwise if it were me, I'd pass on it. I did sell one of these for $350 but it was in excellent condition and was during the peak of the mowing season.

I have owned and sold 5 or 6 of these smaller tractors with the 8 HP & smaller vertical shaft briggs engines.At one time or another they all have engine problems of some sort.Personally I would never own another one.I stick to larger Briggs horizontal engines that I think are much more reliable and trouble free.If you ever see one for sale they are usually described as needing some sort of work just as the one you are discussing.Just my opinion you can have them all.

The first digit is the "size". 5=Serf 6=Yeoman 7=Broadmoor The second digit is basically the "revision". Remember, Simplicity didn't really use a model year system. The last digit is the engine size in horsepower. For $150, the tractor is a bargain in my book. That is what I bought my Serf for. There are a lot of attachments available for this series of tractors. IMHO, I would use the snowblower instead of the plow, unless of course you lack an asphalt or concrete surface on your driveway. Parts that tend to wear out are readily available at the local dealer, hardware store, or obviously here on the net.