Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Allis Chalmers model 920 DIESEL

a_sannine

Allis Chalmers model 920 DIESEL what do u guys know about this one any body here got one ? any problems , what should i be aware of , when buying one thanks

http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/portal_External.asp?LinkID=65&LinkName=What%20to%20look%20for%20when%20checking%20out%20a%20used%20tractor...&CatID=38&CatTitle=Evaluating&URL=http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/articles/sam_used_check.htm

I bought a Simplicity 7790 this summer (same tractor except for decals). If the unit has been used for mowing, remove the front shroud and see if the cooling fins are blocked. If they are, figure on new rings and maybe new pistons along with a honing or boring job. Rings list for $140 a piston and each piston with rings is over $300. Blue smoke when the engine is accelerated is another indication that a ring job is needed. After just finishing rebuilding mine, I'm very impressed with the engineering and quality of the engine. Also check around the fuel pump for fuel leaks. There is both a rubber o-ring and a copper washer where the fuel injection line connects to the fuel pump that will leak over time. Not hard to fix. The engine is mounted in some large rubber mounts. Mine seem fine, but others have reported problems (the engine really shakes when you shut it down). It is, however, a cool, powerful beast that is out of the ordinary. Excellent choice whether you're into collecting or just want a really good garden tractor that is not nearly as common as a "smelly john!!" :D

Nobody else has responded so I'll take a shot. Like so many things, it depends on condition. I bought (stole?) mine for $220, but it badly needed rings which the seller disclosed. The seller didn't disclose that the $10 seal on the hydro swash plate was leaking and hard to get to. The rest of the tractor was in good shape and I got a 48" deck, 42" snow blower, and a new set of tire chains. I guess you could say I got the tractor for free and needed to put some labor and about $400 worth of parts into it. Today, I wouldn't sell it for $2000. On the other hand, if I had to sell it, it would probably only bring $1200 and maybe $1500. Another way of looking at it, is how much more would you pay compared to a 17-19 hp gas hydro tractor that's 25 years old. Probably not more than $500.