Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Simplicity_728

Oil Capacity

Simplicity_728
The owners manual for the 8hp Briggs in my 728 says it holds 36oz. I have had this tractor for over a year and all the oil changes i did 32oz and it was full. I added seafoam to the oil and ran it for about 15 hours with it in there and tonight I changed oil (Castrol Syntec 10W-30)and put about half a quart of gasoline in the crankcase and spun it over 3 times and drained the rest and then refilled. This time i was able to get 36oz in the engine and it was full. Did the gasoline act like an engine flush or was the the seafoam?

rpickle
I don't think putting gas in the crankcase is such a great idea (usually try to avoid it). The Seafoam should have done the trick, especially since it was in there for 15 hours. Can't explain the capacity difference. Did you notice an abundance of crud when draining the oil?

steve-wis
My guess would be that the seafoam loosened up the sludge and then the gas flushed it out. I wouldn't use gas myself, if anything maybe some automatic transmission fluid. Make sure you drain it good, and if it were me I would do another oil change after an hour or two of running to be sure it is all out. Steve

Brettw
In my younger days, I had a Wisconsin Robin generator. As I was new in a business, and had to make that generator last, I changed the oil regularly, checked daily, etc. It would work upwards of 50+ hours a week, and all heavy duty. I would flush the block with gasoline every few months or so. That being said, I wouldn't recommend that today, there are other, better options. However, I would be sure to disconnect the plug, slowly pull the motor over, shake the generator around, drain the fuel and let it dry for a bit before refilling with oil. I would then slowly turn the motor over with the pull cord again, before hooking the plug back up. That aluminum block motor ran forever. The first generator I bought, and the last I sold, years later, still running strong and using little oil. There is no replacement for good maintenance, and flushing the block on your motor and refilling it as you did, will hopefully do you well. With that much sludge however, it doesn't sound like the PO had the same thought process. Either way, good luck!

Simplicity_728
I got it for $50 from a farmer who put a shortblock in it 2 months before I got and he never changed oil and thought it was junk becuase it lost spark (solid state fixed that). I ran what was in for a week then changed it and last month I tryed synthetic and I like it better then straight 30 weight. The cylinder still has the hone marks and it dosen't use any oil either. Im happy too that the shortblock is an I/C too. Better then the factory aluminum cylinder IMO.