Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
gocart879

728 mower deck hitch

gocart879
Hi guys, im new here so bear with me, but the subject explains most of what this is dealing with. I bought a used but very decent mower deck this past october, for a simplicity broadmoor tractor. It was repainted orange so there is no model or serial number present, but from what i know i measured it and its 36" not 32. Anyway, the hitch i have is two seperate brackets, they dont have a cross peice in the center to keep it all one peice( like the manual shows) and im having a problem adjusting the deck height if i turn the screw(height adjustment) in the right rear, it seems to do very little, or nothing and the deck is too low and scrapes too much off my lawn. Do i have the wrong bracket, was an older model or the 36"deck made with these brackets i can take a pic, odd thing is the holes seem to match up good.

Chris727
Welcome to the club! Do you have the nuts loosened that allow the roller assembly to slide up and down? The rollers may also be worn down causing it to cut closer.

gocart879
Hi, the nuts were loosened and the roller assembly was slid down all the way to the bottom, so the rollers would make the deck sit at its highest in the back. i have also moved them to half way and had no successful changes

Chris727
Yes, they must be loose while adjusting with the handle. Once you get it where you like it then tighten them. Also, these mowers tend to cut close by nature. At what height do you want to cut? You might also need to adjust the pitch in the front, it could be set too low.

gocart879
ok, thats why im looking into the hitch bracket that hooks into the frame on it. otherwise, it could be the wheels worn down, any idea if anyone has dimensions on how thick they use to be. thanks for the help.

dynodave
gocart On my 717, it has the two individual hitch brackets like yours, though the book also shows it as 3 part welded assembly. It seems to work fine. My 727(12.5hp repower) OO is for the snow blower....sm06 Then on my later 728, the deck hitch actually has the welded in cross piece.