Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
JohnMBerst

Snow Blower Chute Problem

JohnMBerst
Well just had my first issue with the blower after 24+ years. While doing a bit of clean up after work, found I had no control over the direction of the blower chute. After parking in the garage, the welds on the tube with the wire rope attached broke. Hence the 1/2 rod just turns freely inside the tube, and no direction but forward would the snow go. My question is do I just re-weld like the original design, or have you "simple" guys came up with a better way. I'm thinking of adding a large 1/2 washer to the tube end away form the blower, so a larger weld can be added to the OD of the tube, and welding the OD of the rod. And tack welding again the tube to the blower end like the original. Off to supper, and will check back. Thanks in advance for your input.

JohnMBerst
Well just spent some time grinding off the old welds,, cleaning and oblong a 1/2 washer to weld onto the end. Tried some photo's to show my effort. Offsetting the hole in the washer allows it to be more centered on the tube. First photo shows the "loose" assembly with washer.

Second is the "loose" assembly.

Let you know who it all goes after welding, painting and re-assembly.

Burntime
I am by no means knocking your idea, just thinking that if it lasted 24 years with a little tack weld that a more substantial weld will last at least as long.

JohnMBerst
Must be the ever tinkerer in me. 30+ years in the sheet metal bending, stamping and fabrication industries wants me to see if I can improve things. Since I worked in SE WI, furnished parts to both Briggs and Simplicity. No doubt overkill, but fun......:D

JohnMBerst
Located just south of West Bend. Spent time at both companies working on projects, and parts. Little did I know I would end up owning a Simplicity with B&S twin.

JohnMBerst
Well a bit of weld, grind and paint, should be good to go for another 24 +++ years. Thought might be good to post a few photos of the finished product. First is on the tractor, looking for snow.

Second is one end of the washer welded to the rod.

And the last the inside of the washer welded to the tube.

Hope you all have a great day!