Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Smoking Kohler

Terry_Hart

My 18hp Kohler twin I think it is a CH18 in a Soveriegn started smoking the last storm. It ran ok, started right up. Then white smoke like crazy and sputtering. I let it run and it smoothed out some but continued to smoke. Then I noticed the snow blower was all wet. Black oil. What do you think head gasket? or Rings?

You should be able to inspect the motor for the head or other gasket. Is the external surface of the muffler covered in oil / burned oil from spray froma leaking gasket? That would smoke. If it were rings, I would think the oil / smoke would have exited throught the exaust, leaving an oily black coating on the inside of the exaust pipe. Does the exaust on that motor face the snow blower? If I had to make a blind guess, I would guess a gasket failure, but you should be able to determine the cause by visual inspection.

Guy I know has a 7119 and it did something like that. He said it blow some plug and was pumping the oil out the hole. That's all I know, didn't say what plug or anything.

i found out that the 18hp kohlers build up carbon at the top of the cylinder. i took the one i'm puting on a 416 shuttle,apart and cleaned out the carbon.then put it back together it quit smoking and runs a lot better.

I am hoping it is only head gaskets. It is going to the dealer this weekend. Just too busy at work to tackle it right now. This is the second Kohler that backfires and ends up trouble. Never had that with any of the Briggs.

Terry: I had that happen to the CH18S on my Sovereign. The air filter was plugged so bad it sucked all the oil out of the crankcase and burned it. Replaced the air filter and changed oil and filter and it seemed to have solved the problem. That engine has the air intake system set up so that the cooling fan on the flywheel blows all the dirt and crap right into the air filter making it necessary to check and clean the filter much more often than a lot of other engines. This in my opinion is a very stupid setup.

Thanks for the thoughts. It would be great if that is all it is. I changed the filter this fall. I dropped it off at the dealer this morning. I guess I will have to wait for the news this week.

Talked to the dealer yesterday. The issue was the carburator. Too much fuel. Rebuilt carb, and oil change. Still $200. Expensive but way cheaper that head gaskets or rings!

Last update on this one. I picked up my tractor tonight, seems to run fine, idles down low and smoother than ever. So far so good! Thanks for all your thoughts and ideas.