Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

16 briggs throttle cable

mike_sdak

Hello. I am thinking through the details on repowering my 917 with 16 hp briggs 326400 series engine. I notice there is a different part number for the throttle cable on the 7117 and 7116 tractors. Is it necessary to buy a new throttle cable for this? How does it hook up to the briggs? Anyone happen to have a line drawing or closeup photo? Thanks in advance,

Thanks Bob. Now, for the throttle connection. I don't see an "upper lever" where the throttle cable would attach. I think all I have is the governor lever, governor rod, and rod connecting throttle shaft to governor lever. Is this common? I think they must have adjusted speed with the governor rod? <EDIT> I think I need "governor control lever", part no. 690263 I've attached a picture, but I don't know how well it tells the tale. I'll try to get better pics, later.

Look at the picture. http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/attach/BLT/TC%20Wire%20Conn.jpg One the top of the muffler you will see an bracket 1656453 and clip 158475 that you can anchor yout throttle cable to.

Here's a couple of close up pics of what Bob was showing in his last post:

The bracket is mounted to the boss that's on the top of the carburetor to engine inlet elbow - it's clearly visible in your pic. I also converted a Sovereign KT17 to a 16HP Briggs and I think I used the KT17 throttle cable, but I'm not sure. I made the L shaped bracket, but I did use a stock cable clip, Simplicity part #158475 (bowden wire clip?)

Hey thanks for the input, guys. I looked closer, and I do have the aforementioned governor control lever. I previously thought the throttle cable wire was to be attached to this lever. I am pretty sure now that it actually connects to the hole in the throttle rod (in Maynard's image). The attached image made this a bit clearer, to me. Thanks again.

If you can't find the aforementioned anchor bracket, you already have all you need. The bracket shown in your pic has 2 holes in it, one for the throttle rod, the other for the throttle cabling. you can run 2-1/4 standard thread nuts onto the throttle casing. Run one past where you think you'll need for adjustment, put the cable through the second hole in the bracket, then thread the other nut on the outer cable from the bottom of the bracket. That throttle rod should have a hole in it about half way down to the carb from the adjusting nut. Put the inner steel cable through the hole using a Z-bend to keep it connected. Adjust the cable travel with the 2 nuts, one on top of the bracket, the other on the bottom of the bracket. It will take some trial and error, but when you get it, snug the nuts. Be careful, overtightening will stretch the outer housing, and you are out of luck. What you are doing is using one nut to adjust, and the other for a jamb nut to keep the adjusting nut from loosening. I have been using this system on my Landlord, for several years with no problems. Those 2 nuts show up in the pics above.

MrSteele, Thanks for the thorough treatment. I didn't realize the nuts would work on the throttle cable like that. I think I have a the bracket on the way, thanks to RayS, who threw it in with a drive shaft he is shipping to me.