Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sunstar Front PTO Electric Clutch Bearing

stevenj

Has anyone tried replacing the bearing in the front PTO clutch pulley. Mine is shot and it doesn't look like a new pulley & bearing assembly is available anymore. Second question....For the electric coil in the clutch, does it matter which wire is connected to ground and which to the switched 12V? And how do you test one on the bench?

Check Phandad's post "Electric Clutches 101 at "http://simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=109463". To bench check: Use an Ohm meter to check for continuity across the two wires. Should have very low Ohms (nearly 0 to a few Ohms). Check the wires for short to ground. Should be an open circuit (infinite Ohms). If above two steps are OK apply 12 vdc across the two wires then take a piece of steel and see if coil is acting as magnet. If so you are good to go. Not sure polarity matters but if the coil/magnet repels the steel in above test then reverse the polarity of the 12 vdc to the two wires and retest with the piece of steel.

Lets say one of them you can get from NAPA and the other I have not been able to find in 6+ years. I'm under the impression they are the same as the power max clutches because the rear one is. napa # 6908val

There were 3 peens that locked the bearing in the stamped steel cup that was riveted to the ID of the pulley. I used a dremel and ground the 3 peens flush and was able to drive the bearing out relatively easy using a socket and a deadblow hammer while holding the pulley in my other hand. That way I didn't have to worry about bending the stamped steel pulley if the bearing didn't want to budge. Now I have to find a replacement bearing. I'll probably use a loctite bearing retainer compound to hold the bearing in the stamped steel cup.

Steven, I replaced one about 6 weeks ago. Got it on ebay - I think this is the item (Fafnir Ball Bearings 206KDD 206-KDD Ebay Item number:320242889978). Mine was pretty easy. Good Luck.

• 1 month later...
Hello all, What is the adjustment measurement (in thousandths using a feeler gauge) for the electric clutch on a Sunstar / 1920 Ultima DA tractor? Thanks, Ron

quote:
Originally posted by Hardbird
Hello all, What is the adjustment measurement (in thousandths using a feeler gauge) for the electric clutch on a Sunstar / 1920 Ultima DA tractor? Thanks, Ron
I found my answer, .012 to .015.

• 3 months later...
[url]http://www.bonanzle.com/booths/Moose/items/Fafnir_Roller_Bearing_206KDD______________________I26[/url] Anyone know if this bearing is a replacement for the Allis 720/Powermax electric clutch bearing? Thanks

quote:
Originally posted by BruceH
Steven, I replaced one about 6 weeks ago. Got it on ebay - I think this is the item (Fafnir Ball Bearings 206KDD 206-KDD Ebay Item number:320242889978). Mine was pretty easy. Good Luck.
Hi Bruce, Thanks for the numbers. What did you do/use to retain the bearing in the stamped cup housing? Steve

they are the deep groove bearings (206 kdd)? identical replacement for oem?
quote:
Originally posted by stevenj
quote:
Originally posted by BruceH
Hi Bruce, Thanks for the numbers. What did you do/use to retain the bearing in the stamped cup housing? Steve

Nubian - It appeared identical to the bearing that I removed in terms of construction. npalen - dimensions are (from a reference document) bore 30mm, OD 60mm, width 16mm. I used this on the PTO end of a 20 hp Magnum engine in a DA 1920 / Sunstar not a Powermax