Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

The True "Attic Find" - Updated

grnlark

This is a 1958 Wheel Horse RJ58 that was found in an attic last week. It apparently has been up there since the early to mid 60's. The original owner took the wheels off and stacked them on the shelf next to it so they wouldn't go flat or crack. It's not the original engine but it's an old Tech Lausen. No one was quite sure how he got it up there and it had to be chain hoisted out. Oh, and I forgot - it got chain hoisted right onto my trailer :D Well, technically it got hoisted onto my friends trailer and I'm going to pick it up at his house this weekend. I can't wait.

Great find. Those RJ's bring some good money and are a real collector's item. I think the RJ58 came with a Clinton and or a Kohler

Where and how do you find this stuff? That is an amazing story, but even more amazing is that it seems to be the same member finding these relics time and time again! Well done on the find!

quote:
Originally posted by Simpleton7016
Where and how do you find this stuff? That is an amazing story, but even more amazing is that it seems to be the same member finding these relics time and time again! Well done on the find!
My brother says that too. He gets frustrated. The problem though, is I'm a collector - that's what I call it :D - the wife calls it being a pack-rat of junk. LOL! Many of the tractors I've found I don't want to sell and as you can imagine, the garage is starting to fill up. Let's not even talk about the amount of money I now have wrapped up in lawn and garden tractors. I truely believe it's a sickness. But I love it!

Well done!dOd Looks like it will clean up REAL nice! I see the rear wheels, I assume the fronts were there too? I have a friend who is a WH nut and he says those front wheels are cashy to replace, they were often calcium filled to keep the frontend down.

My buddy took all the AG tires. There were actually 5 RJ's and a hoard of parts and attachments. He bought the whole lot with another guy and I bought the RJ58 from them. All of the original BFG tires are there and are in great shape. Apparently they hold air too because he said none of them have sagged a bit while it's been in his garage. Of the 5 tractors, my 58 and another 56 were real nice. My buddy is keeping the 56 for himself. The other 3 are pretty rough. He's got those three posted on RedSquare for sale. Due to bring the 58 home Sunday. I'll post more pics for sure.

Nice find! WheelHorse tractors were invented here, and made here for a long time. I wouldn't be surprised if there were a few hidden in some attics close by.

Well, I made the trek out Friday night instead of today, and had a chance to give her a quick bath yesterday. I was originally (prior to really looking it over) planning to do a full restore, but after cleaning it, I think the original patina look is just great. I think 100% original is the way to go. Now the Landlord has another red/orange friend. :D

Sweet. What size tires are on the front? They look bigger then on the LL in the background. wonder why they didn't put the motor under the hood??????????

Marty, The old Wheel Horse tractors were simply "converted" two wheeled walking tractors. http://www.tractorfanatic.com/ Check out episode 908.

That is why they call them a ball burner.That tractor is in nice shape does the axel seals leak? Very comon on those units .I have a rj58 most of it is powdercoated and some day I might get it done.Nice to have one that is orinigal .Have fun .

yep, that little nut roaster looks good just they way it is ^. without the proper shields i think they are more of a leg burner. i used to run around on my 1961 with shorts onsm00, its got a exhaust shield now.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• Gilmer
  • Recent Status Updates

• gwiseman

gwiseman

Site programming updates were made 3/23/2024. As a result some things have changed including dues payment options. We will continue maintenance and work with technicians to regain credit card payment option and clear up minor challenges. On positive it appears attaching pictures is now easier. Good day. Gene 
      · 1 reply
    • gwiseman

gwiseman

Site maintenance scheduled to begin 10a CDT on 3/16/24
      · 0 replies
  • Adverts