Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
RickS

Water in fuel

RickS
Hi, Not the best with carburetors so I need some help. My 7012H with a Kohler seems to have some water in the fuel. Thus it will not start. I have since filled the tank up (was 1/4 full) added some dry gas. I even sprayed some starting fluid down the carb, but it still won't start. Turns over just fine, just does not seem to catch. So what is next? Carbs seem to get the best of me, never can figure out what jet to adjust. So please me gentle and very clear so I can get this started. Need to clear the driveway of 4 inches of heavy wet snow. And I don't think the blower will move it. thanks Rick.........

Boney
Well I am Mechanically Challanged but here is was I would try 1-Drain all fuel, tank,line and carb. 2-Check spark at plug. 3-Fill tank with fresh gas, at times mine does not want to run even with a 1/4 tank so I fill it and it starts. Go figure.

wilm169
Neighbor every year had the same, all I had to do was drop the bowl on the carb clean, replace gas, and replace carb bowl. No need to mess with the adjustments.

RickS
Levi, Sounds simple enough, but you mentioned drop the bowl on the carb. You lost me right there. Carbs always mess me up. So can you walk me through this. First how to I locate the bowl, how do I drop it, and how do I drain the gas from it? Again very basic clear instructions. thanks Rick.......

wilm169
The bowl is on the bottom, looks like a small cup, with a center bolt in it just unscrew it and it will drop. watch the rubber gaskets there are 2 of them in there and some times hard to get back in.

CDeHeer
I know nothing about Kohler motors but here is a link a member posted a while back that I found very helpful. http://outdoorpowerinfo.com/repairs/ Hope it helps.

MrSteele
Kohler uses a fiber gasket, as do several other engines on that bowl screw. Whatever you do, keep up with it, and be certain that you reinstall it on the outside of the bowl before putting the screw back in, whether it is an adjustment needle, or simply a bolt. Without the gasket, you will never get the engine to start...

MPH
Boney, the most likely yours will run with a full tank and not a 1/4 tank is because of the increase in pressure from a bigger "head". My LL is that way Sometimes too. As for a Kohler running on water, Ahhh, I'll be nice, I don't own one.

RickS
Thanks for all the suggestions. But it will be a while before I can work on the tractor. Can't explain how I did it, but I mamaged to break my left hip (No fall). So no tractor time for me. No resplacement hip, instead got a plate, several screws, and a pin. It will be at least 6 weeks before I can think about getting on a tractor. Now TSA will have a field date with the hardware in my hip. Rick..........