Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Anyone buy parts from this Guy?

ardisam

I'm writing this to let everyone know. Dont buy any parts from Mowerfreedom(Dakota Outdoor Power) on EBAY. He charges Hidden Handling Fees that are not stated in his auction. I bought three different items from him off a Allis 916. He charged me a extra $6.00 handling. That is FRAUD! He has been reported to he EBAY. I hope he gets kick off for good. Thoughs?

Is it listed anywhere on the auction. Personally if its on the page and depending on what it is 6 bucks is not unreal. Now if its a gasket kit, well then no...

On all three auctions that my brother and I won, there is no where saying about the handling charges. He told me on the phone the $6.00 is what he make off his buyers. He even over charged my brother $30.00 on the shipping, when he bought the Allis 916 fender pan. It was not shipped in a box, so UPS charges an extra $8.00. also it could have been damage during transit. That $8.00 should have been also stated in the auction as well.

I don't agree with the extra money that was not stated in the auction. However I am considering charging a "handling fee" to offset some expenses. I sell on eBay often and the eBay charges are getting higher. Then you have the last minute bidder's that waits till the last possible minute to bid. The state used to do an online auction and during the last minute, if there was a bid placed, the clock would put an extra 2 minutes on the auction. I am not blaming the economy like everyone else but there are many factors right now that make selling on eBay a non pleasant experience. The only thing holding me back from charging the handling fee is that I would not want to pay a handling fee for an item that I purchase. Ryan, I would try to communicate as nicely as possible with the seller first before you get too crazy. have you done this yet?

Yes, I did talk with seller, thats how I found about the hidden fees( hidden fees are against ebay policy ). Here is one of the auctions: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=370320132469&ssPageName=STRK:MEAFB:IT

Yep, unless its built into the shipping calculator then he can not charge it. If you won the auction and it said 16 to ship and it came thru at say 13, well you bid on it. Other then that I agree with you. I had one seller try to do that to me. Some reloading dies and add 5 bucks "gas charge" on the invoice. I basically told him that he either honor the auction or cancel it. I will pay only what I agreed to on the auction. He cancelled it and I bought it for a few bucks cheaper from another guy...it all worked out.

Thats what I was getting at. If he bid, won, and agreed by the shipping and bid then there was no hidden fees. Just a bad buyer. Now if he agreed on the price and it was more...then he never should have finished the deal. We do not know which one but it looks more like he charged more after the fact from what ardisam is saying...

I had a seller do that to me, it said contact for shipping costs, I did and it was $20. I won the item and the invoice said $55 for shipping, he said it had to go in a bigger box than he thought. I didn't pay and reported him to eBay. When I sell stuff on eBay, I pre-box it and weigh it first, nobody likes surprises, if I screw up I eat the extra. All costs must be disclosed or you aren't obligated.

He's been around for a long time, I've never bought from him. Too many red flags, the stated shipping was always too high, and the descritions were often wrong, I think he was trying to sell B-10 body parts as being for a B-110 or something along those lines. It is unreal to me, that anyone could be so lazy as to ship a part without even boxing itC

I bet you would if you thought it was worth 40 bucks and it was 14 to ship and 5 bucks on the part... I don't see anything wrong with that. Had he not made some money on it the part would not have been available for sale and simplicity would have nailed someone 60 bucks or more. If its shown on the page when you bid I think its fair. To go back after the fact is childish. If someone did not like the shipping they have the right to not bid. Thats my opinion. That and 2 bucks gets you a cup of coffee:D

When I sell. I figure out what I want for the item before I list. Then I figure out all the fees that they charge including paypal, then I add that to my listing price. That way I end up with what I want for the item at a minimum and if it sells for more, great. I am a last minute buyer and see nothing wrong with it. Why would I want to bid something up for a week and pay more for it than what I feel it is worth to me? The .99 cent listings are silly to me. If it sells at .99 cents after fees you pretty much are paying to get rid of it and might as well sell to the scrap yard. I personally don`t see it with my time to box something up, buy shipping materials and hunt down boxes to make that measly amount of money.

I just checked his feedback,you are not alone with your experience. 44 negatives in one year, and tons of neutrals. This is a good reminder to check feedback before bidding.

My personal opinion is he has too many eggs in one basket. When I sell on EBay if the shipping cost less I refund the difference. More well than that is my loss. I start everything out at $.87 that way you get bids. Win some you lose some but usually you win. I do EBay for fun not for profit. And I have helped many of our club members out. Selling them parts for next to nothing and not going through the EBay/Paypal fees. If you start your parts low you will get bids. If you try and get big bucks for it you often end up paying listing fees. Because it wont sell just look on there right now. I really think this seller could take some lessons from Joe's Outdoorpowerequipment. Even though he strips them down to nuts and bolts. And like Ray said why bid something up right away its an auction the last high bid wins. I have been bumped out in the last few seconds many times. 99% of the time those who bid on the first day don't win it. But they sure help bump the price up. Great if you are selling Bad if you are buying. So I am sure there are a few out there that disagree with me. But heck I really don't care. BOB

Yes I have purchased from him. I live in SD so I pick up what I purchase. Your right though, His shipping fees can be pretty high on some items. If you ever stop at his place you can spend an afternoon looking around. Quite the operation. Good luck, Chris

He is simply adding a $6 handling charge to the shipping which shows up in the shipping calculator. If he was doing it after the fact he would have been booted a long time ago. All those negatives will effect his Ebay exposure and Ebay costs so it does come back to bite him in a way. I occasionally use a handling fee when I know that special packaging is needed which I have to purchase. Boxes and bubble wrap can get pretty expensive real quick. Overall his shipping fees are high which will cost him in sales but he is doing nothing illegal or against Ebay policy.

A couple of years ago he had a different name. Had alot of negative feedback as well. Disappeared for awhile and started backup under the name he uses now.

Ray, thats what they do. Personally Joes is great for us but I would not waste my time on some low dollar stuff. Not to say its not needed. I would rather pay the listing fee then sell something for a buck and have to deliver it to the post office. I toss a lot of stuff that would bring a dollar or two but the people you draw on that stuff can be the biggest pain. I had a guy threaten bad feedback over something like 87 cents. I just emailed back "have at er" and I will gladly forward your info to ebay. You are being childish and do not belong on an adult forum. He faded away. I actually get some rediculus requests and I just block the bidder. Its a hobby and no need to play games with someone who wants something for nothing. Probably 10-15 people on my blocked list. Its ebay, you will never make everyone happy... The best are the people on this forum. I have yet to run into anyone who was not genuine.:)

Hey guys, thanks for the thoughs on this guy. On all of these auctions, I watched for some time. The fender was set at 39.99, and rear pulleys were at 19.99, and the wiring harness was at 14.99. So when he brought down the price, I bidded on them and won them. When I did get ahold of him, he told me that he was losing money on the parts. Well, on ebay you lose and you win some. In this case he lose some. Thats what the online market is all about. Actually Xenon172 he doing someting illegal, and has gone against ebay policy. You must state everything that deals with the item, including the item, condition, if there is a handling charge(supplies and etc), and the shipping. Seller assumes all responsibility for the listing. If I did not call to get combine on two of the items I would not be writing the topic, because would have never known about it. I do agree Corncountytractors, he should take a lesson from Joe's Outdoor Power. He states everything that deals with the item, and what is need for the handling charges, and the shipping. He is following ebay's policy, and thats why he sell a lot, and and being a Top Seller.

Thats is correct Burntime. Between my brother and I he charge us $18.00 on handling. But he charged my brother an extra $30 on his shipping.

I quite simply wouldn't pay the extra overage. If the shipping calculator says $20.00 and the part is $20.00, I'm not paying more than $40.00 through my Paypal account. Seems simple to me, other than you lose out on the item. If the agreed upon price isn't really the agreed upon price, then the guy is quite simply a crook.