Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Electric PTO Clutch - 1920

TomSchmit

Hi, There are 3 nuts on the front of the clutch. Use a 015 feeler guage and chect the clearance between the plates. There are slots to put the feeler guage through. Set them for .015 and see if that helps. This often fixes the problem when it won't engage part of the time or won't engage hot. Most of the verticle shaft engies use 010 clearance, but these KT and M series have a little more crankshaft end play and a little more clearance is used. Good luck, Al

I just got a "new" Deutz-Allis 1920 Ultima, and it has an electric PTO clutch. When mowing, the clutch seems to like to disengage periodically. As I mowed more, the disengagement became more frequent. Is this a BIG deal (should I send the tractor back and void the deal?) - can the clutch be adjusted, or am I looking at an expensive replacement?

I have a Simplicity Sunstar that is the older brother of your Duetz-Allis. It had about the same problem when I got it a couple months ago, and, with the help of people on this board and the repair manual I bought, I got it fixed. Al is right on about the clutch. I set mine for .018 (book says .015 to .020) and it hasn't missed a lick since. The gap was probably twice what it should have been and when it got warm it wouldn't engage once I shut the PTO off. Good luck with you tractor. Rodney