Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Roy

Rear Lift Cable

Roy
Needed a rear lift for the 7018 so I made a cable assembly and a step collar then swiped the rear lift from my 700. Cable assembly and step collar.

Rockshaft cable end and step collar. Notice the swaged connection.

Other end of the cable. Turned the 3/8-24 UNF threads on the lathe.

Clevis for rear lift.

Also made a rear cable guard/cage.

Rear lift from the 700.

Will install tomorrow after paint has dried a little longer.

B10Dave
dOdNice work Roy. That tractor is going to be pretty when it is done. Are you going to have it done for April for the Gathering of the Orange in Gray? (this is your first poke. I'll remind you again near the first of April)^ B10Dave

Roy
B10, Will be runable for Gray but may not have the seat & seat pan done. Thanks for the "poke". Keep them coming. Chris, Material cost was basically shop supplies and time. Did scrounge the cable and a piece of 3/8" round rod from a friend. If I count my time the cost is outrageous. Mike, I've pulled plenty of fence posts with my Sovereign. Many of them were cyclone fence posts set in concrete. Pulled one post in half just above the concrete. Thanks to the above and Ray. :)

HubbardRA
Roy, the crimps on the cable would worry me. How did you make them so that they are strong enough to hold? Normally the cable is looped back into a ferrule then crimped. If you do it that way the crimp only has to hold half the load. This is the way mine is done.

Roy
John, Do I detect a little sarcasm your "paint" comment?? ;) Rod, Did it similar to the factory method. Used a manual/hand crimper in my 20 ton press to swage the cable into the ferrules. Have used this method previously on the short lift cable for the mower deck. Thus far has worked fine. Thanks guys. Edit: Added picture of cable crimper.

Roy
Marty, Although it was running when parked several years ago the 700 is slap worn out. Needs to be restored or parted out. Thus far have swiped the S/G and rear lift from it. Cannot bring my self to sell, part out, or restore so poor thing just sits awaiting it's fate.

Sign in to follow this