Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

changing BGB

osenga

OK I have a cracked BGB on my 3410. Have it all tore down and the parts rear end with a good BGB . SO I have the pto and all the other stuff off . What is the best way now to get them off and swaped over the easiest way with out tearing all the sides off the rear end. this is the first time I have done the BGB . And by chance anything I should watch for when putting back together. Thanks in advance Bryan

I generally remove the drive shaft, driveshaft yoke from the gearbox shaft, split the tractor. Then remove one side of the transmission frame and unbolt the gear box . Then put the replacement back in and re-assemble.

Yes, be vary aware of the shim washers that retain the bearing on the right side of the bgb. If these shims are not properly installed, the internal gears will not mesh properly, resulting in premature failure of the BGB. Don't ask me how I know this!!! John U

Take out drive shaft, unbolt the linkages from the rear end, remove the four bolts that fasten the BGB to the frame and slide the whole rear end back and out of the way. You only need to remove one side plate. I remove the right hand side. That is the side with the drive pulley on it. You then can remove the BGB. Reverse order to reinstall. Make sure you put the shims back in when installing the new BGB. The shims you will see between the side plate and BGB seal.

Sam yes I have removed that and the tractor is split already. John You are talikg the side with the pto on it correct? I have it all layed out the way it came apart plus printed out a manual on it too But I was wondering is one side any easier than the other? since both rear ends are hydro

quote:
Originally posted by osenga
Sam yes I have removed that and the tractor is split already. John You are talikg the side with the pto on it correct? I have it all layed out the way it came apart plus printed out a manual on it too But I was wondering is one side any easier than the other? since both rear ends are hydro
I am talking about the side opposite the PTO. As RayS said, the shims go between the side plate and the bearing seal. Remove the right hand (side opposite the PTO) side plate only. John U

Ok . Thanks Guys will do this After work tomorrow and all I took off the right side was the drive pulley. I was hopeing that The plate will slide over that ? Or is that going to all have to come off too

You will have to remove the side plate. I believe there are only four bolts to that as well and the idler pulley bracket and fan housing. Doesn`t take to long - couple of hours start to finish or less.