Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
GWGAllisfan

Replacing throttle cables

GWGAllisfan
Has any one had any luck at trying to feed new cable into the casing from an old one? The one on my Landlord had a tendency to vibrate closed, so I replaced it with a newer used one that had more lever tension. Unfortunately, it broke the cable the first time I used it. I'd like to buy a cheap cable and feed the cable into the old casing, rather tahn go back to the other control. Anybody done this?

UCD
It is very easy the cable is a steel wire and it slides out after you cut the Z bend off and new one slides right in. Takes all of a min.

JimDk
One of our local Simplicity dealers, Dunlap's Sales and Service, sells generic throttle cable by the foot. It works well with the lever type systems. Cut to length and make your own Z bends. Someone in your area possibly sells it.

MrSteele
You might also want to oil the steel wire as you slide it in the old casing. Try putting oil on a rag and passing the steel wire through it as you feed it into the casing. It also never hurts to put a good penetrating oil spray on the casing as a part of your spring start-up, or if you store the tractor outside, as a lot of us have forever, spray it more often. Keeping it lubed will add a lot of life to a cable. If your new wire is hard to use in the old casing, I'd bet you have rust on the inside that the penetrating oil will aid in removing, too.