Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  

920/7790 Diesel Starting

I've taken my rebuilt Lombardini out several times to blow snow around for the sake of breaking in the rings (and to play :D ). It sits in an unheated garage that is between 30-35 degrees. The pre-heater works also. Despite using the pre-heater, it cranks for a long time before starting. I've tried stopping the cranking after 5-10 seconds and re-heating the manifold. Still cranks a long time and the garage is full of smoke before it starts. After about 3-4 cycles of that the first time, I gave up and misted a LITTLE ether into the air cleaner intake hose. Engine fired up quickly. The last couple of times, I just used a little ether, and it starts quickly. Runs fine once started. How do the rest of you with diesels handle the starting??

acfarmer
A dipstick heater would help alot and set the throttle at the wide open position.Using a hairdryer at the air intake would also help.Thats not an engine I'd want to use ether on myself.Those engines should have had a compression release to let the engine get up to full cranking speed before trying to start. My Pasquali has a larger 2 cylinder Lombardini engine in it with the compression release and its easy to start plus its much easier on the starter.

UCD
I did not use the manifold pre-heater. (it didn't work) I used a 250w heat lamp on top of the intake manifold. I turned this on about ½ hour before I went out to start it. The 0W-40 Mobil One oil I used helped a lot along with a 800 cca battery,also depressing the clutch will help in turning it over faster. I have started it at -30° with no problems. Pick up some Ctain booster at a parts store and try that in the fuel. I used diesel conditioner to keep injectors clean. A few ounces of ATF in the fuel also works good.