Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Kohler 912 to a 712?

captainweezy

Hopefully I will have some shop time this Saturday to look it over and swap motors. My 712 "kohler of course" smokes like crazy and is worn out with a 30 over bore so I am going to try to swap another kohler from my 912 into it. Is there anything I need to be prepared for? Will the pans be ok or will I have to swap them over and can I? Thanks for your help in advance-:D

I think the engine from the 912 won't fit, that's why the 912 has a different frame than the 712: [url]http://www.repowereng.com/images/allis912_25hp.jpg[/url]

Burntime, The 912 has manual lift as does my 712. The reason I want to swap is because the 712 is really nice and original. The 912 is not in bad shape but the 712 is the rerason why I am a member here. My first allis.

If you are like me, I like the looks of the 7XX series better than the 9XX tractors. It is just the little things about how they were made. The 7XX tractors just look beefier and the design and workmanship appears to be better. Just my opinion. If I am running a single cylinder engine I will use a 7XX tractor. If I were running a twin cylinder opposed engine, then I would have to go to a 9XX series because of the frame design. A V-twin, like a Vanguard can be installed in either. The choices always depend on owner preference. What I like probably isn't what others may want.

Rod, I couldn't agree more with you. There is a certain feeling I get when I get on my 712. it feels real solid and I also like the looks a little bit better than my 917. I am not putting my 917 down because it is a real good workhorse and I got a heck of a deal on it but that 712 is probably my favorite. So I got to get her back rollin.

I tend to agree, the 700 series Allis are a little bit shorter, and sit a little bit lower. My place is mostly hills, including a 30° slope hill in one spot. I have mowed with both the 718H, before the 14 hp Brigs transplant went south, and the 917H, I really prefer the 700 series, if it only came with the Hydro lift. I'm hopeing this summer to rebuild my 718H into a 716H with hydrolift, and duals to make it less scary to mow the slope. Not to mention the cool factor of duals :D

Greg, I put the hydrolift on my 716H. It hooks up just the same as on a 7116H. You do need to get the correct pressure bypass valves so that the pressures on the tranny and hydrolift are right. I have posted the picture I drew up with the parts listed for the bypass valves several times, if you need me to post it again, just let me know.

Best of both worlds...if I only had the time...extend the middle of a 700 hood and put it on a 917 tractor. This is my Number 1 project when I retire in a few years.

C Can't seem to get my head around removing a good engine out of a nice tractor to get another running. Sell whole tractor if you must to pay for a good engine for your 700 series. Does'nt make sense to disable a good looking and good running tractor. In my humble opinion.:(

Get yourself a 12 pack of honeywiess, and a 12 pack of classic amber. Next at least one buddy. :D It should go pretty fast!

I got the motor pulled from the 712. Looks like a change in plans now because there is really a bunch of work switching wires, pans, and a few other things over. I knew the pan would have to be switched based on the oil drain plug location. I think I strained a vein in my head when I put that K301 up on my bench. My head is killing me.:(

Rod, I have your post. The hydro pump unit in the 718 loses pressure and rolls backwards (scary on a place with hills :O) So I bought a pump that came from a hydro lift tractor. Also picked up everything else I need from someone parting out a 900 series with the lift. Now all I need to do is get round tuit. :D With the loader tractor at least functional, still needs final tweaks, I'll have a bay in the shop to start working on it. I think with this one I'll paint as I go along, so I do not have to hear complaints of green like when I posted this: [url]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/attach/GregB/loader4.jpg[/url]

Greg, Just a thought I had. If one of the frewheeling valves is not completely shutting off tight then you will lose pressure. Be sure this is not making you think you have a bad pump. I have had problems with those freewheeling valves before on my machines. I thought my pump was bad till I got the freewheeling valves to completely seal off.