Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

6216 TRACTOMATIC Drive???

wmgeorge

Can anyone tell me the correct way to adjust one of these? Got the downloaded manual for the 6216 and I'm a little confused as I can't get the darn thing to work!!

One of your pulley's may be froze? Will inform more after work, I have four 6200's....Usually the varia - drive pulley freezes and needs to be taken apart and re-lubed(to get the high-low effect) and all linkages and such need to be adjusted - find a service manual, it explains everything about the set-up. Will look into more tonight - Chris

This tractor, the only thing that moves is the center pulley. If one belt is tight at the top the other side is suppose to be at the bottom. I dug out a old belt piece at the bottom of the movable one and freed it up. It has not worked for a long time, as the pulley sides are not shiny and nice all the way up and down. The downloaded owners manual states. "adjust the nut on the spring rod until pulley side X contacts the frame and then back it off two turns" I can never get that pulley even close to the frame. So either the setup to that part of the adjustment is wrong OR something is wrong with the mechanism. The previous owners were NOT mechanical! This is a new to me purchase and just going along fixing what I find :).

Does the Variator pulley center part move freely side to side(Double pulley looking thing)- Not rotating around the pin, but side to side along the center pin - That controls the belts for high and low. That part has been froze on most of mine.
quote:
sticking center sheave in variator
: per service manual

quote:
I can never get that pulley even close to the frame.
Make sure the pivot arm swings freely in its pivot bushings-may need some anti-seize.

This is what I wrote in my first post: This tractor, the only thing that moves is the center pulley. If one belt is tight at the top the other side is suppose to be at the bottom. I dug out a old belt piece at the bottom of the movable one and freed it up. It has not worked for a long time, as the pulley sides are not shiny and nice all the way up and down. So yes it was stuck, but now when its free still no variable speed. Am I expecting to much? Does it take moving of the tractor a ways before the pulleys shift? Right now I have the steering wheel, shaft, gears and etc out and tomorrow I am going to make a bronze bushing for the lower bearing and a steel holder for the same. Can't believe they used a plastic bushing in a highly stressed point like that.

if your drive belt is installed yes it takes moving of the tractor (or engine) to get the belt to move "up" the pulley that is getting "closer" when adjusting it would be easiest to do it live but that is very dangerous... the manual tells you to make your adjustments and start the tractor and check then shut down and readjust if necessary. Its tough to understand exactly your situation is without photographs

Thanks guys / gals? Right now I am working on replacing the bottom steering bushing. Got the bearing holder and bearing done, just need to MIG weld it carefully to the plate. I am going to install a grease fitting in the new bearing, cause I don't want to do this again. If the instructions in the Owners manual I downloaded are correct for the 6200 series I will check what you folks have posted. IF by some chance they aren't let me know!! I have no problem adjusting "live" as I have learned a long time ago to keep fingers and other body parts out of the way.